Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
kevin24018

flies landing upside down, does that happen?

So I'm learning to cast in the back yard, tried to tie a few foam flies, but I was wondering with the foams do they land upside down or is the hook heavy enough to make them land properly? talking about a foam with a size 6 or 8 hook.

When casting on a lawn, just use a short (1") piece of yarn (without a hook.) The hook should turn over your foam flies, but the grass is no place to test how your flies would land in the water.

"Foam flies" covers a lot of different patterns. I make a ton of flip flop foam poppers. Round, punched out foam bodies with some rubber legs and feather/synthetic tails.

Sometimes, those flies spin a bit during the casting actions. When they land on the water, I can see them spinning in the water, as the line un-twists. MANY hits come during this somewhat subtle movement.

When they aren't twisted up like that, the hook is almost always enough to roll the fly upright, the hook point down in the water.

If you're talking about hopper, or Chernobyl Ant, style flies, with large flat foam sheet pieces, they don't roll. I do not believe this is a problem though, as far as fishing with them go. Only tiny fish will inhale just a hook point ... treating it like an insect's leg. Larger fish inhale a major portion of the fly, or all of it, so a hook set is still likely.

Sometimes my flies made with sheet foam will land upside down. A quick strip rights them and they're good to go.

I tie backyard casting flies on a piece of wire. I fish foam bodies pretty routinely. I have never noticed how they land since I generally can't see them well enough to know what side they are laying on What I do know is they are always right side up when they get back to me.

thanks guys that helps a lot, while I look at the patterns and tutorials etc I have this issue of wanting to know why and how things work lol like most of you I like to modify and or create my own versions and experiments but generally there's a few "rules" you need to follow to make sure everything functions as it should, so with these being so light I could see an issue with them being upside down, but not really knowing if they would self correct.