Fly Tying
oogamooga

Best source for (black, #14-#16) ant dry hackle?

Hi there,

First time posting, but have been lurking for a while. I'm new to tying/fishing and having a blast with both. The posts in this forum have been incredibly helpful, but I think I finally ran into an issue that hasn't been addressed in other posts.

I'm gearing up for a trip to Yosemite this August and want to tie, among others, lots of ants in sizes 14 and 16. I need to purchase some black dry hackle for this, but don't know what the best route is. Right now I'm considering a Whiting 100 pack, but have also been looking for an excuse to place an order with Collins Hackle Farm. It seems that I'll need to choose between best bang for my buck (Collins) or getting exactly what I need (Whiting 100 pack). Before I give Collins a call, does anyone have any opinions they'd like to share?

Other considerations/questions: 1) Some sources say dyed black is better than natural black for ants. Thoughts on this? 2) I've read that the accompanying saddle from Collins is not dyed, so if I place an order for a dyed black cape, it seems like the saddle feathers might not be what I need even though they might be the right size. 3) If I end up going with Collins, what other flies can I tie from the larger cape feathers?

Personally I like the 100 packs. They are all sized, the colors are good and you get a lot of flies from one feather. They save time too, because you just pick up the package size you want to tie and start tying. I buy from J. Stockard, but if you shop around sometimes you can find a better price.

I'd look for a whiting or hebert 1/2 saddle. I might even opt for a dark grizzly, The problem as I see it is that you want 80% of the saddle to be #14 & #16s. The FeatherEmporiam might be worth a call or at least a web site visit.

Other considerations/questions: 1) Some sources say dyed black is better than natural black for ants. Thoughts on this? 2) I've read that the accompanying saddle from Collins is not dyed, so if I place an order for a dyed black cape, it seems like the saddle feathers might not be what I need even though they might be the right size. 3) If I end up going with Collins, what other flies can I tie from the larger cape feathers?

I doubt that dyed vs natural makes any difference for ants. I have a full Whiting Black cape (which I think is dyed), but I often use grizzly for my black ants.

I use the long feathers on the black cape for Wooly Buggers, and other feathers for beetles.

Thanks for all your feedback, all. I think given that I know what exactly I need to tie, I'm going to go with a 100 pack. Looks like Feather Emporium even has 100 packs that are mixed sizes, which is perfect. Collins Hackle Farm will have to wait till the next paycheck :)

Just about any Hackel sized right will work for ants.

Why An Ant pattern for Yosimite?

I grew up there not many ants

A mosquito emerger pattern is better

if you already have a black cape why not just use that up? plenty of hackle on a cape in those sizes

are you tying 12, 200 or 1200 ants?

What part of Yosemite? Ants can work very well in the central Sierra.

eric

fresno, ca.

What part of Yosemite? Ants can work very well in the central Sierra.

eric

fresno, ca.

I grew up in Bridgeport fished from Bishop to the Nevada border and then over the mountain also.

Not saying ants don't work just Scuds/Shrimp and emergers work better

Mike West, i've been tying up some scuds, hoping to try them out next eastern sierra trip. From my recent reading, i'm surprised scuds aren't more popular flies for many waters.

I usually fish small and medium sized granite lined creeks which lack a good ecosystem for bugs. terrestrials like ants can work well. yosemite is a big place with varied situations. and a heck of a lot of mosquitos at times :)

eric

fresno, ca.

Don't even bother with dry fly hackle. Make them out of deer hair. Here are some #16's that don't take long to tie and will float for a long time..

Regards,

Mark

post-12032-0-08431800-1465506913_thumb.jpg

Flytire- that's pretty slick. Is that black uv resin with a black hackle?

I've never fished Yosemite, so I may be way off base here, but I tie up foam ants and use them as an indicator in a dropper rig for the stockers down here in texas on the Guadalupe and have decent luck with that. But then again, our stockers are dumb and hungry.