Fly Tying
jd1983

Help needed matching the hatch

Alright ladies and gents, I could use some help matching the body color on this caddis/sedge. So, what out there matches what I am looking for? Any pattern advice you'd love to provide? Thanks for the help.

IMG_5214.JPG

IMG_5210.JPG

Haven't seen a dubbing that I'm completely satisfied with. These bugs are almost mint green and most caddis greens are too bright.

I would mix your own to match it. Tie a few of each shade and in the name of science go fishing

I love Caddis hatches for many reasons but mainly because I can fish dry flies on riffle sections and not have to match the hatch perfectly and still get tons of takes.

Where do you fish? Sounds like some seriously picky trout!

Haven't seen a dubbing that I'm completely satisfied with. These bugs are almost mint green and most caddis greens are too bright.

Mix the bright green dubbing with a little olive. Make sure to look at them wet, usually darkens.

That's why I always make my own dubbing. There is a "baby yarn" that will do the job on that one.

Where do you fish? Sounds like some seriously picky trout!

Yep, they are partly because these bugs aren't coming off in the riffles. They are coming out of some rather slow moving runs where they get plenty of time to look things over.

Mix the bright green dubbing with a little olive. Make sure to look at them wet, usually darkens.

Bright green and olive sounds like it will go too dark. I'll have to poke around and see if I can't mix something up. There are also a couple wool yarns I'm looking at that may work for pupae.

Hey buddy,I'm from that area as well.Try a green colored dubbing,Palmer a grillzly hackle forward and use a Dunn cdc for the wing,wood duck for 2 antennas no bigger than a size 18.I have great luck with that on the Clinch and pigeon river

Why not look into a different sort of material outside of dubbing? Look at Virtual Nymph skin. They have a few colors of greenish to choose from....you can stretch it once its tied in and make it a lighter shade too.....

As shiney as that bug's body is, I would use foam or a biot colored with a marker and cover with Sally H.

Apple or Grannom Caddis, probably Apple.

Looking through zip's link I believe it is neither of those. I'm thinking it is a little sister sedge that we have out this way in a few places. There might be a hare-tron that is close to the color I'm looking for that I may mix with some Antron.

I also like the idea of other materials. Maybe some caddis green nymph skin pulled tight.

Don't be prudish ... put a hook through that one you have in your hand and go fishing.