Fly Tying

Hey have you guys seen or used Drop Jaw Flies heads? They look really awesome, and I am looking at picking some up. If you have, just curious on what you thought.

www.dropjawflies.com

Ten buck a piece? Does not matter how cool they are, at that price they are a product I'll never use. They do have the advantage of making the Fish-Skulls look down right affordable in comparison.

Not a purist by any means, and I sure don't want to sound like an old foggy here, but to me fish skulls and the like are just beyond the line of what I find "acceptable" materials to use in my tying.

Nothing against the concept. But to me the fun is in imitating something with materials that do not already look like it, and in doing a close enough job that will fool a fish.

Just my $0.02

I kind of agree with you Bimini, feathers and hair for me or I may as well get my spin gear and a rapala.

Not that there is anything wrong with these or that I wouldn't consider it fly fishing, it's just not for me.

Cool looking heads but my wallet has its limits and these are way above my materials budget

Flytire

You have the advantage of being a whole lot better than the rest of us not to need fish skulls etc.

Ok. I looked at them. 1 streamer 50 bucks. I do not mind to spend money for a quality product but wow. Really. Good luck drop jaw. This is not for me.

If I'm able to make a bucket list trip yet and am really not that concerned with the money part of it I'd do a couple of the heads to see if it would really do something special for the trip. As for the streamers, I can only say good luck to a couple of fishing entrepreneurs but I doubt they'll find a very small and elite market that will be very demanding on their quality. As for their articulated kit, a while back I sent out about a half dozen complete kits to tie the triple articulated Hog Snare at no cost, even absorbing postage to let some guys try that kind of fly. They want $20 for theirs.

Guest Tony P

To each his own but for that price I will be surprised if they stick around very long. If they are that good some company will make a knock off of it & sell it a lot cheaper than what they charge.

that's just stupidly expensive. What is even more stupid is I'm sure people who can't afford them are buying them.

Not that I'm willing to pay it, but from what I read on their web page I have the impression that that each of the heads is hand painted. If so then $10 is justified given the likely labor involved. Many "tarpon" flies sell for that at retail and more, labor costs money. If they want to make a few bucks to pay for their materials they will probably do okay, they aren't likely to retire next week from sale though. The other option is that they don't want to have to make a butt load of these things and have priced them to reflect that. More power to them, best of luck, etc. I'm not saying these are the best thing since sliced cheese or anything. I too am not likely to tie with pre made/molded material regardless of how effective they can be. Well that is not true, I use dumbell eyes and those are "premade". There is an invisible and variable line though. I still have a couple of packs of material used to make gummy minnows. I have never been able to get myself to tie a gummy minnow let alone use one despite the fact that they are very effective on fish. It's a personal thing and there isn't any logic involved, it just doesn't feel right to me is all. It's an old argument. There was a time not very long ago that the argument was about synthetic materials of any kind being okay for flies. It still rankles some. Some folks won't fish if they can't use sub #20 dry flies during a definitive hatch. As long as they don't rain on my parade who cares.

I will start by openly admitting my powder paint jobs on cones and Sculpin Helmet's are nowhere near that good, but I can say I understand the price. I would not pay it, but I understand it. Obviously, these folks are putting a lot of work and attention to detail into what they are selling. Say it takes half an hour to paint one of their heads. If folks think they should only be $2 each, then I look at it as the half hour of work was paid for with a rate of $4/hour. Maybe that's not the best way to look at it, but that's how I would see it as a tyer who puts a lot of detail into flies. Detail takes time. Detail isn't fast. Time is money.

As for what is acceptable to use on a fly with regards to Skulls, these heads, etc... It's another way to get the fly where you want it. Typically down. If I use a pocket eye cone or Sculpin Helmet on a pattern, it's because I want that fly getting down lower in the water column. I think it's really tricky to lay down an ethical "line" when it's just another way to get the fly where you want it. What's the difference between a Fish Skull and dumbbell eyes? Or split shot added to your tippet? Or a sink tip line? Just another means to get your fly where you want it as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, I was more just looking at peoples opinion on the heads. I would agree that $50 for a streamer is a lot. They do hand paint each head, so i understand the $10 price point for the head, i was mostly just curious if anyone had used them.