Fly Tying
Triplef

Hello Forum!

I started fly tying back in 1972 and for 10 years I tied a lot of flies! Never for show . . . always just to catch fish! But after 10 years my eyes started changing and my vision couldn't be corrected with glasses or contacts (a retina issue). But last year I had some surgery that now let's me see again . . . maybe better than I could see in 1972!!!

So I've started tying flies again and my how things have changed!!!

The quality of the hackles and saddles is amazing!! And all the synthetics! WOW!!!! And now there is YouTube to help you along!! When I got started the only place I could find to order fly-tying supplies was Herter's! (If you have never seen one of their old catalogs they were a hoot! Every single thing ever invented for fishing was either invented by them or at least dramatically improved by them!!!)

Honestly I'm having to re-learn everything . . . starting with muscle memory!! My flies are coming around but still not of a really good quality yet. And I have so much to learn and re-learn.

But I'm having a blast!!

Welcome to the site, Triple F.

I gotta ask about your avatar ...

Caught your wife by the thumb? Or you found a really macho way to display your flies?

Just please remember, we love pictures of flies and watching you relearn will probably teach the rest of us a few things we've forgotten.

Welcome home,buddy!

Hey Triplef, first off welcome to the forum! I just wanted to let you know that you can and WILL start tying better flies again. I am 14, just a stupid kid in the eyes of everyone, but my tying has dramatically,dramatically,dramatically improved. A simple look at my first fly and some of the ones I tied today(I can PM you some pics) is quite amazing. Now thats not to say that it was a "solo act". I posted pictures, got LOTS of feedbackcby the forum. Some if it was nice,some of it was kinda spirit-crushing, and some of it was constructive criticism. If you can power through the "rust" and regain your muscle memory, we would all be very proud to have you as a member of the flytyingforum! Also, PLEASE post pictures. I (and Mike ;) ) cannot emphasize that enough, it is the only way that we can "critique" your flies. Hope you read all of this because it took a while lol ;)

Thanks you all for the welcome and encouragement! And Mikechell . . . this just shows off my fly fishing skills!!! I believe that was a purchased fly (ugh!)

Okay . . . here three pictures! A parachute attempt. Tail too long, hackle too big I know. But I'm hoping the trout wan't care that much. Next is a bunch of smaller nymphs (a few bigger). Also a CDC . . . never tied a CDC before so this is definitely a learning experience!

Criticisms will not hurt me! That's how we all learn . . . just like my new 14 year old friend FlatsRoamer said!

post-55558-0-32759200-1465680556_thumb.jpg

post-55558-0-93374100-1465680556_thumb.jpg

post-55558-0-12379900-1465680558_thumb.jpg

They look great to me. I don't think the fish take a tape measure to see if the tail is a couple of millimeters off. They just eat it. or don't. But I bet they'll eat these.

They look great to me. I don't think the fish take a tape measure to see if the tail is a couple of millimeters off. They just eat it. or don't. But I bet they'll eat these.

You're cutting me a break! But thanks! Thank God for a few stupid fish!! Hahaha!

Those look really amazing after such a long break!