Fly Tying

I have found similar posts on various fishing forums with the common request from people looking for patterns or templates to cut out foam. Many free form and do it by hand, other purchase the punches and or stencils that are available. Then there's those who want to do everything the hard way (like myself) for whatever reason they may have. So I would encourage those who want to go this route to look at everyday items for templates and patterns.

post-59188-0-09156100-1465945875_thumb.jpg

I make Confederate Generals (a bug created by a guy in Tampa) which has a body of foam cut in a disk about 1/2 inch or so diameter. I made a punch out of copper tubing about 3 inches long, and filed one end sharp. It's the only one I've ever needed a punch for. Other things I cut freehand.

I make Confederate Generals (a bug created by a guy in Tampa) which has a body of foam cut in a disk about 1/2 inch or so diameter. I made a punch out of copper tubing about 3 inches long, and filed one end sharp. It's the only one I've ever needed a punch for. Other things I cut freehand.

yeah I see people using shell casings as well in different calibers and even bending one side to make it oval, there are many of us who are symmetrically challenged so we need patterns/templates, was messing around with Microsoft word shapes and came up with this for those who need it like I do.

shapes.pdf