Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
caloosa bug

playing with epoxy

have you tried using flexament on it might do the same thing but keep them a little softer.

Something with a bit of flex to coat soft foam is not a bad idea. 5 minute and longer cure two part epoxies can be a bit stiff and more prone to cracking if bent.

Well since I started this thread back in June, I need to update what I posted. I don't fish with any of these epoxy coated flies anymore. I just don't like them. I missed a lot of fish and the hassle of epoxy was more time consuming than just making more. I do use it still on my crease styled poppers but only a very thin amount with a paint brush. I've found the very thin amount of 5 min. devcon epoxy will still leave the foam very pliable and offer some protection. Plus I can mix in glitter. The 30 min. devcon 2 ton would crack horribly with minimal impact. I've tried hard as nails, but my marker paint jobs would run on the foam when applied. Overall I'm still a very new tyer and am still learning everyday. I haven't tried the flexament stuff yet, but my advice to other newbies is to experiment and listen to others with experience. It seemed like a winner with toothy fish to start with..not so much now.