Fly Tying
Mike West

I have a ? about the fly swaps..

Color me stupid but most swaps are 12 folks right?

Why would you want to send in 12 flies only to get one of your own back?

You should send in 12 and the host gets to keep a dozen for his mailing/hosting troubles and you get 11 back or the criteria is 12 guys 13 flies each and you still get one of your flies back...what's the point? I don't need or want one of my flies back.

I never claimed to be the sharpest tool in the shed but it's only 8th grade math.

I don't get it.

????

If there are 12 guys in a swap including the host, you tie 11. If there are 12 guys plus the host, you tie 12. You don't get your own back. At least that is the way I have always done it when I hosted

If there are 12 guys in a swap including the host, you tie 11. If there are 12 guys plus the host, you tie 12. You don't get your own back. At least that is the way I have always done it when I hosted

I'm in two like this right now.......

"Hey Guys,

So here is the deal. Ill take 12 tyers. We each need to tie 12 smallmouth or largemouth bass flies.

You tell me how this makes sense.

So he keeps 12 for himself right? and you get 11 back?

Swaps can be any number the sm wants. I have done one well in excess of 12 but usually limit to 6 these days. Agn is also right.

I usually throw some extras in for the host unless I'm a meat head and forget when I mail them out. Like this week. :(

"Hey Guys,

So here is the deal. Ill take 12 tyers. We each need to tie 12 smallmouth or largemouth bass flies.

You tell me how this makes sense.

So he keeps 12 for himself right? and you get 11 back?

Usually, the host ties 12 flies also. So, in this swap it sounds like there are 13 participants total all tying 12 flies, and everyone (including the host) gets 12 flies back but will not get their own fly back.

Some swaps will have 12 total participants with everyone tying 12 flies. This swap format is very easy to host. All the flies are sorted into 12 identical piles and the host doesn't have to worry about who tied what fly, since everyone gets an identical set of flies. In this format, you do get one of your own flies back.

Which format is used is determined by whoever is hosting the swap and the accepted practices of whatever board the swap is posted on.

"Hey Guys,
So here is the deal. Ill take 12 tyers. We each need to tie 12 smallmouth or largemouth bass flies."
"I'll take 12 tiers" ... that's 13 tiers all told.

Why would you want to send in 12 flies only to get one of your own back?

Just for the record ... I brought this up when I did a swap. If you think of the Swap Meister ... sending in 13 flies for 13 tiers makes it easy on him/her. Then all they have to do is box up 13 sets of flies.

When the "rule" is 12 flies for 13 tiers, the SM needs to make sure there are 13 boxes, each with one fly missing and that each one with a fly missing goes to the person who's fly ISN'T in there.

Just seems overly complicated, just so people don't get one of their own back. Is that really so bad ??? You don't like the fly you tied ???

if a swapmeister announces a swap for 12 tyers and he is included in the 12, then the swappers tie 11 flies and each swapper does not receive one of their flies. 11 boxes will be returned to swappers

if a swapmeister announces a swap for 12 tyers but the swapmeister is an additional swapper for a total of 13 swappers then each swapper will tie 12 flies and each swapper does not receive one of their flies. 12 boxes mailed back to swappers since he only received 12 boxes in the mail.

here is the swap mike is talking about

Swapmeister: M_Grieb

1. Add147
2.stabgnid
3.vincente
4.riffleriversteelheadslayer
5.mike west
6.PJ2
7. Dorado
8.JJS89YJ
9. Foambug
10.Vicrider
11.Zip
12. mike west

so essentially, you tie 1 fly for everybody in the swap except for you.

it is also a nice gesture but not required to include a few extra flies for the swapmeister for his work in organizing the swap. 3-6 flies is about right

Mike West, I think in the posts above you can sort out the answer. mikechell, I actually would prefer to tie the one extra for the SM and sort them like you're saying. I also would like to get one of my own back since I know it sounds like I'm senile and old but I have a tendency to tie several more than I send in and send my best dozen. Then I'll stick the extras in boxes here and there and by the time I get the set of flies I've forgotten what I sent in and can't always find it for sure. Of course, I could be better organized with my flies and this would never happen....but I'm not and it does.

M W, it's been working for years and some how eve when people get hung up on this "how many do we tie" it just about always works out. If the occasional batch comes in one short I just short myself since I'm the guy least likely to get out and get them wet anyway.

Nick

Who's on first, What's on second, but nobody is in the outfield for the flies.

Yep we are all a gaggle of geniuses....

And I flash back to one of my great idols, Eddie Feigner and The King and his Court. Got a chance to watch him a couple of times in Chicago and for those who have never heard of him, look him up. He toured the world similar to the Harlem Globetrotters playing any team anywhere with 4 players. His team consisted of a shortstop, a first baseman, a catcher, and him pitching. His players would often carry out chairs and read a book while Eddie struck out the side.

From Wiki...

On February 18, 1967, Feigner appeared in a celebrity charity softball game against many Major League players. In the game Feigner struck out Willie Mays, Willie McCovey, Brooks Robinson, Roberto Clemente, Maury Wills, and Harmon Killebrew all in a row.