Fly Tying
Troutbum11

Anyone tying cicada flies?

I've never tied any cicada patterns, but I've seen quite a few in the boxes of guys I know who travel a bit more than I. There's an annual hatch on the Colorado at Lee's Feery, the Green in Utah, and of course they're one of the top flies in many New Zealand waters. Big trout on big dries are always interesting to me, but I think carp on a cicada dry would be fun too.

They only hatch every 17 years, so there's plenty of time to work out the details.

I am going to assume that I am not offending anyone ... but ...

I do know some people who believe that the entire population of 17 year "Locust" Cicadas hatch at once, every 17 years.

I can't convince them that there's a hatch every year. (Approximately 1/17 the total population)

I've heard a lot of rationalizations ...

"What if only males come out one year?" blank stare from me, crickets (or cicadas) singing in the background.

"But there can't, possibly, be 17 times this many !!!!" This while standing in a swarm of freshly hatched and flying bugs.

"Oh my! What if they all decided to hatch out the same year?!?!" Again, blank stare from me ... cue crickets.

Mike... I have them hatch in my yard but only every 17 years. However, they will hatch in other areas on different years. The 17 year means that the particular hatch only hatches every 17 years, not all of them everywhere. A good sign it is a 17 year Cicada is the red eyes. If they are not red they are other type, some hatch every 13 and some every 7 years. So, look at their eyes. Here in the Blue Ridge the 17 year Cicadas hatch in a very large numbers. The low grassy part of my field under yrees are so thick you can't take a step or two without stepping on one of their holes. When I was a kid I fell for the statement that they were Katydid holes and if I stuck a stick in them I could pull out a Katydid. That was BS but I tried many times before catching on.