Fly Tying

Hello all, I have recently been been doing a lot of musky fishing on the fly and have put many flies through their paces as far as producing fish. Burned a lot of steel tippet as well, changing up flies. I thought I might share my blog post with the community here. It's a fly that has started really turning up Musky for me here in Eastern Canada and a leader/tippet setup that has saved me a bit of time and money. Might get the wheels in your head turning for your own version of the fly. I would love to see some variations on the patter or things that you have done that are similar. Feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Shane

See the post.

https://tieflycast.wordpress.com/2016/06/16/less-restriction-more-action-musky-dig-loops/

post-10800-0-84688700-1466395646_thumb.jpg

Very nice job! Useful tips, efficiently and effectively presented.

I've bookmarked your site and will explore it when I have more time.

Thanks,

Rocco

The snakeheads would love it, Mike.

Surprisingly, there are none of those here, yet, either.

Central Florida gets too hot for the northern species of Snake Heads, and too cold in the Winter for the Southern Species. I am sure some will adapt, and we'll get them ... but not yet.

We don't have alligator gar but we do have spotted and long nose. I will be giving these flies a go for them in the later summer. See if the hooks can hang on to their boney heads. The musky fishing has been top notch this year. See if the gar follow behind. Just curious, what's considered big for an alligator gar?

We do have some really big alligator gar here in central Fl though.

Joseph ... I am not arguing with you, since introduced species keep popping up all over the place.

However, this is the map I am used to seeing when researching Alligator Gar.

If you're sure you're seeing Alligator Gar (which get HUGE),

And not Longnose Gar (which can get over 5 feet long),

you might want to report it to FWC for tracking purposes.

Shane,

Welcome to the forum. I can see how your pattern would be very effective. Great job of coming up with a solution to a problem! There are many creative tiers on this forum, who have exceptional skills and direct those skills to all species. You will find exceptional levels of support on this forum. If you look up the swap thread, you can see this year's musky swap. I was very pleased with the consistent excellence of this swap. I hope you will continue to post. My fishing has been very limited so far, but will post as things go along.

Tom

Thanks Tom, although not new to the forum it has been a looooong time since I have posted. Some nice flies there. Good luck getting out there.