Fly Tying

This is a great fly for saltwater applications, but also can be used for larger freshwater fish like bass, salmon, or pike. While they aren't the most easy to tie, they aren't difficult either, and they really do catch fish. They move so nicely in the water. This is a variation of the original that was tied by lefty kreh.

Hook: Gamakatsu SS15 hook size 1/0, but any long shank saltwater hook will work.

Tail: White saddle hackle

Thread: Danville 210 waxed in blue

Body: Pearl braid, or silver tinsel

Wings: White and blue buck tail

Gill: Red calf tail, or red crystal flash

eyes: Stick on eyes, preferably flat, but I used 3D eyes which work as well.

Epoxy: Solarez "Bone dry" UV curing resin.

nicely done. it's one of my favorite patterns to tie and I've caught a lot of fish on them.

Hey , just watched the video and I didnt like it, I LOVED it!!! Very clear instruction and detailed and thorough explanation of Leftys Deceiver. I think that if someone wanted to learn how to tie a deceiver and needed a how-to vid, then they should watch this video.

Great work Shawn, as always

PS, how long (approx) should the fly be? I have tied some and I think they are too long.

Hey , just watched the video and I didnt like it, I LOVED it!!! Very clear instruction and detailed and thorough explanation of Leftys Deceiver. I think that if someone wanted to learn how to tie a deceiver and needed a how-to vid, then they should watch this video.

Great work Shawn, as always

PS, how long (approx) should the fly be? I have tied some and I think they are too long.

Thanks.

As for the length, I'd say it depends on your hook. As stated in the video, the hackle should be 2-3 times the length of the hook. If 3 times the length looks too long to you then stick to 2 times the length.

nicely done. it's one of my favorite patterns to tie and I've caught a lot of fish on them.

Thanks, it's one of mine also. Very fun to tie! And very effective

Yes I did like that , especially the second clip because it really showed how the hackle so graciously moves in the water. Thanks again for your time and effort!

I hate to be critical,,,, really enjoy your videos and effort.

That is not a correctly tied Deceiver, very common error in construction.

I have a Deceiver given to me by Lefty and there are loads of books and videos of Lefty giving details of his fly.

1. Normally he uses 4 or 6 saddle feathers with flash tail length crystal flash. (1/2" longer that the feathers)

2. The white buck tail is tied on in two applications,,, one on the far side and one on the near side, never top and bottom.

The reason is to prevent the saddle feathers from fouling on the hook, this is a very important detail for the fly.

3. Throat is crystal flash or similar on the bottom,,, nothing else on the bottom of the fly.

4. Topping of a small amount of color contrast buck tail with optional additional topping of peacock herl.

Check out YouTube "Lefty's Deceiver Pattern" posted by Brad Yearwood and tied by Lefty.

Again really enjoy your posts and videos.

Regards,

FK

Sorry that came across kinda rude. Thanks for saying that you like my videos. Dang full moon got me pissy. Plus I just got off of a like 4 hour convo with century link about how they are trying to send a bill to collections when the address of survice is not mine and I never agreed for service. Haha. They actually opened up 7 accounts under my name and social, and I didn't even know. They kept saying that I owed them, and I was like no!!!! Does it make sense that I opened 7 different accounts up? Lol. They didn't understand. So sorry for being pissy. But really, does it matter that much how it's tied if it comes out looking good and works well?

I hate to be critical,,,, really enjoy your videos and effort.

That is not a correctly tied Deceiver, very common error in construction.

I have a Deceiver given to me by Lefty and there are loads of books and videos of Lefty giving details of his fly.

1. Normally he uses 4 or 6 saddle feathers with flash tail length crystal flash. (1/2" longer that the feathers)

2. The white buck tail is tied on in two applications,,, one on the far side and one on the near side, never top and bottom.

The reason is to prevent the saddle feathers from fouling on the hook, this is a very important detail for the fly.

3. Throat is crystal flash or similar on the bottom,,, nothing else on the bottom of the fly.

4. Topping of a small amount of color contrast buck tail with optional additional topping of peacock herl.

Check out YouTube "Lefty's Deceiver Pattern" posted by Brad Yearwood and tied by Lefty.

Again really enjoy your posts and videos.

Regards,

FK

I got exhausted by pointing out the obvious everytime someone tied dumbell eyes on a hook and called it a "Clouser Minnow"....

bucktail collar up front, feathers in the back, every fly fisherman who has ever picked up a book or looked at a website SHOULD know those are the major design elements of a Lefty's Deceiver.

I suppose the first time someone posts a video or picture about a Half-and-Half, the internet will melt.

I'm definitely not criticizing you for pointing out the facts that Lefty Kreh probably knows how to properly tie a Lefty's Deceiver.... and that he has forgotten more about fly fishing and tying and fish and fishing than all of us combined will ever know. On my small freshwater Deceivers I normally use 6 saddle hackles, matched pairs from a saddle but tied in concave side IN, so the feathers press against each other and make a flat profile. Then I normally tie in a sparse bucktail collar in a top and bottom bunch instead of the 3 bunches specified by Lefty. I find this method better suits me and the fish on small 2" - 3" flies.