Fly Tying
zfetcko

Critique Clouser #10

So I took everyones feedback and have tied several more flies. This clouser is the most recent and the 10th fly ive tied. I still haven't quite gotten the cone head down. #5 and #6 had nice cone heads but I tied them with less hair. Im trying to use Bobs method for attaching the hair at a slant. Also my whip finisher came in yesterday so the last few flies I have been using it instead of finishing by hand. I think I have almost gotten the hang of it, but I am going to stop tying and spend an hour or so just whip finishing a bare hook.

Please give me some feedback on how to improve. I would also love some suggestions on what to try next. I fish mostly bass and panfish, but I will be in Destin, FL for July 4 and may try a SW pattern. I was think either a deceiver or whooly bugger. Any suggestions?

post-59325-0-31447800-1466789515_thumb.jpg

post-59325-0-15647600-1466789528_thumb.jpg

post-59325-0-79464100-1466789535_thumb.jpg

post-59325-0-33319300-1466789543_thumb.jpg

Nice flies, I honestly beleive your first one was better but its good that you are asking for help.

Try positioning the bucktail closer to the eyes so it has a cone shape, the farther away the bucktail, the less cone shape... at least for me.

Glad you are getting the hang of whip finisher, it took me MANY long nights before I finally got the hang of it.

For Destin, I wouldn't use a woolly bugger but that's me. I think theirs much better SW flies out there.

Keep your Destin flies simple, clousers like the ones above, Deceivers are always good and simple to tie. I wouldn't tie any ep crab bodies since that is pretty complicated and frustrating. Maybe some Surf Candies if you have the epoxy? Some ep(or any synthetic fiber) minnow streamers since that can never hurt either. Just keep it simple and bring the flies that you are confident in.

PS did anyone tell you that your a pretty good photographer?

good looking #10

fish will not reject your fly because it doesnt have a cone shaped head.

who says its actually required.

required - no, pretty - yes

No I haven't heard that my photography is good, but I appreciate it. I just used the camera on my phone and a manila folder as a background.

What exactly do you prefer about the first one? Is it the shape of the head?

Also if I tied the whooly bugger next it would just be for bass and panfish around here not to take to Destin.

Once again, you've tied a near perfect Clouser. And again, I'll repeat what I said on your first one ... there are multitudes of tutorial videos that don't end up with a Clouser as good as yours.

Ive only used the woolly bugger once, and on the 2nd cast I landed a trophy 5lb wild rainbow trout in the Patagonia.

The cone shape is not a must flytire but he expressed a desire to have us help him improve his fly, and we are.

Things to work on

1. Not crowding the eye too much

2. If you want to get this, then work on tying the bucktail closer to the eye

3. Go fishing with them and let us know how it goes! (trust me EVERYONE will be so happy for you)

Good luck and post more pictures !!!

zf, one question on your bucktail. It might just be the photo, but the density of the bucktail looks a little thick, compared to the amount that is actually extending out the back of the fly. Are you cleaning out all the short hairs really good before tying in? You should grab the cut bunch of bucktail almost by the very tips and pull out anything from the butts that doesn't stay in your pinched fingers.

It is difficult to toss material in the bin, as this seems like a waste, but is really necessary when tying in many materials.

That's our friend Mc Fly Lures. But I remember all too well my bucktail streamers being too thick at the tie in point, I think it took me two decades to figure out why LOL ! Today we have all these videos at our disposal. Even so, as others have said, the OP's flies look pretty decent all in all and will certainly catch fish. I wish I could say that my first Clousers came out so nice, they did not and they caught fish.

ZF, if you have not tied Woolly Buggers it's kind of a staple beginners tie that has the steps included in it that you will go on to recognize in a lot of other flies as time goes by. But bass love nice big juicy looking woolly buggers.

So I have been pulling out the excess material from the buck tail because I heard Bob mention in his video how important it is. BUT I was not holding the clump near as close to the tips as I should have been. Thank you so much for pointing this out. The video really shows so much clearer how it should be done. I think this will really help.

Ive only used the woolly bugger once, and on the 2nd cast I landed a trophy 5lb wild rainbow trout in the Patagonia.

Flats ... this was your post on May 15th.

"I did it, I DID IT!! After so much time, money, and effort I finally caught my first fish on my own fly! I caught it on a white and pink Clouser."

When did you go to Patagonia?

I went there this past winter break. That was when I had never heard of tying flies and I could barely cast 30ft without getting tangled.

Anyways my guide Juan was amazing and put me on the right spots. Although that was the only fish I caught on fly that day, the drag screaming left me with a desire for that same adrelanine rush that I HAD to feel again. I left that day with a new passion (and a hellofa burn mark on my finger).

To answer your question Mike, I caught the trout on the guides fly, probably a store bought one. But the one you quoted was my first fish on a fly that came from MY vise. Maybe that clears things up, don't wanna start another argument lol.

Flats,before you teach you have to learn