Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
themattman

What leader

Poop, depends on the native brook trout. But I don't disagree that smaller immature fish are easier than larger adult fish to catch. I can take you to some places in Northern Maine where there are tricky adult brookies and some places where there are some little dummies too. But tricky pan fish ? My first fishing experience ever, I was about 6 yo and had a string on a stick that my dad had cut off a sapling. A common pin for a hook, worms from the garden and we went and caught Blue gill. It's 60 years later now, I can still feel that first bite on that primitive rig !!! We went fishing and the biggest fish hooked for ever was me, lol ! I will never underestimate the value of fishing many different ways. but I 'll never be convinced that pan fish are tricky little devils.

Sorry young lad but we're talking fishing. I agree they are not tricky little devils but they shut down just like trout and they come alive just like trout. The bigger ones are trickier then the smaller ones just like trout. I find fishing for any species incredibly easy and no harder for any species because I have a secret that I will share with the world. I fish for everything that swims. I have no love affair with any one type of fish. When the trout are finicky I go fish LM bass, SM bass, walleye, stripers, flounder, drum, blues, shark, shad, crappie, perch, bluegill, catfish, or whatever is not being finicky at the time. It's a great system. As I always say, life is to short to pigeonhole yourself.

Am I the young lad?

Poopdeck, I agree with you through and through.

To clarify, the reason why I see it as an uneven comparison is that we were given some insight into trout fishing and its challenges. But bluegill fishing apparently had NO challenges, based on the fact that a bluegill was once caught easily. It was a false comparison.

The real question should be... Is catching the hardest to catch trout harder than catching the hardest to catch bluegill?

Of course all fish turn off and turn on. And I fish for multi species too, a few less than some here, but multi warm, multi cold water and salt water as well. That's not my point, they all turn on and off yes, the point is trout can turn on to a certain thing, pan fish to almost anything. The whole sunfish gang are turned off here from mid Sept till early May, you won't get one, they buried themselves in the mud or otherwise just went deep. One could say boy are those sunfish fussy ! Well yeah, they aren't around ! They turn off in a spawn, they turn off in a weather front, and probably opposite of trout at that, when both are around at the same time. I think one of the most weather prone turn off fish is fresh water bass actually. You don't need a #20 midge to catch a sunfish, though, you might catch one, and I have caught them and herring and chubs and minnows while trout fishing. But if trout are keyed to #20 midges you will get scarce few on something else. That's my point.

Will the errant large trout take the errant large fly in the middle of a smaller sized hatch? Yes. It Is a tactic to use even, for that one large fish you see rising out there but don't expect a large number to come to that fly, they won't. Will a trout skip your fly for a cigarette butt floating over there ? Maybe but not every day. I caught a ridiculous sunfish last year on a #1 bass diver I tied, and hooked in the lip. Go figure, they will charge anything, that's exactly what I mean. I've often wondered how many got swallowed up by big bass when I'm popper fishing. Because the blue gills will mess with the feathers and there are some big bass in that place I'm thinking of.

Am I the young lad?

Poopdeck, I agree with you through and through.

To clarify, the reason why I see it as an uneven comparison is that we were given some insight into trout fishing and its challenges. But bluegill fishing apparently had NO challenges, based on the fact that a bluegill was once caught easily. It was a false comparison.

The real question should be... Is catching the hardest to catch trout harder than catching the hardest to catch bluegill?

No, I think he means me, I get that from guys 20 years older than me sometimes. Just sayin, he might be 20 years my senior..

No the young lad is Bimini. For some reason I believe he is a teenager. Maybe I'm just confused.

Poopdeck,

I choose to take that as a compliment...

I wish I were. The crap I would get away with these days... :)

Around home I fish for bluegill, bass, carp, crappie, don't matter, of it swims it's catchable. I try to get a couple of trips in for trout and a saltwater trip each year. I have come to the same conclusion for each. The big ones get big because they are not stupid and are very cautious. The smaller ones, not so much.