Fly Tying
zfetcko

Need Help Tying Deceiver

So I just tied my first deceiver and tried to follow the youtube video of Lefty tying it. I'm not crazy about the video because he isn't very clear about portions and things like that. It kind of reminds me of my grandmothers cooking recipes (add a little of this and let it cook for a while). The fly looks outrageously long. It measures about 7 inches and is tied on a size 1 hook. Please critique this fly and help me get better. Here are my questions:

I am tying with strung rooster saddles. If I want them shorter can I cut the ends off before I tie it in or trim the tips after it is tied on or what?

How do I get the red throat part to stay together instead of flaring out?

Can you recommend a video tying a classic lefty's deceiver that has a good amount of detail. There are a lot of videos but each have there own way of doing things so I was hoping you folks could point out which ones don't stray to far from the classic pattern.

Thanks

post-59325-0-89335400-1467232369_thumb.jpg

post-59325-0-01175000-1467232377_thumb.jpg

post-59325-0-76470500-1467232384_thumb.jpg

I know im not qualified enough to critique your flies, but almost all the fly tying vids are either from InTheRifffle or McFlyLures.

intheriffle says two to three times the hook shank length, generally speaking, but that it's up to you. Then he goes on to tie one where the clump of feathers is about 4 times the hook shank length. I can say this, 7" could be good for striped bass.

Of course you can cut the feathers, before or after the tie in. In flies like that I sometimes do both.

Since I don't tie deceivers, I have no idea what they're supposed to look like. But I know that I like your fly.

Very nice finish on the head, too.

No. (smh) There are many more sources of fly tying videos. One of the better produced sources is Tightline Productions.

davie mcphail also offers a video. as well as jim misiura.

btw, nice first attempt zfetcko

eric

fresno, ca.

I would shorten up the feathers before tying in. If your flash throat is flairing, take a couple fairly loose wraps farther down over the material then come back up and tighten back up as you go. I think yours look pretty good. Tail is a bit long though, in my eyes, anyway.

Going good! My dad caught his first 2 fish on fly today, just small jacks. Going to a new spot (Frank Sound) early tomorrow for bonefish, hopefully they are cooperative. I will pictures when I can transfer the pics from the camera to the computer. Hope you find those biguns Mike!