Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
BoSmith

Stillwater Trout - Fly and Tactics

Ah, now you're asking about secret stuff !! No seriously, mostly sub surface, the trout at least here on the upper Cape aren't big on hitting single floating midges, at least not in fall when the insects can be stacked up two feet thick below the surface.. I can't tell you all my tactics though, I have to leave something for your imagination, you will think our Cape fish are too easy lol ! That said, don't come to Cape Cod in the fall without Griffiths Gnats, there are times they key to those rolling tumbling midge clusters on the surface.

biggrin.png

Not looking for your secrets! The kettle ponds on the North Shore are mostly dry midges... a lot of fun for me compared to going subsurface. Of course that beckons for a better presentation... 13-16 foot 7 and 8x leaders with size 26-32 midges. A lot of fun I think!

But seriously, I appreciate you filling me in a bit in the Cape. Like I said I'm there almost every day for a 2 week period in the fall, and then again when the herring push through in the spring. Maybe I'll make some more trips there this winter, check it out a bit.

Mid winter if the water is open, it's then full sink line time here.

Bo, Nice tiger. Is it from Twin Lakes?

Yes it is. A Great Lake to visit once or twice. Then you just get bored of catching tigers. ;)

I've been there 7 of the last 10 years in September. Backswimmer heaven. And they are on gorgeous fish. Just started a stocking program on a little lake about 20 minutes from my house so hopefully successful!

Dave, Cape legend Tony Stetzko used to take big browns in those ponds on the booby fly at night. Especially around October when the browns are in close to spawn... break out some bigger topwater flies or the articulated stuff

________

_

dlinkered ... your site is a "Russian Dating Site". Is that intentional, or have you been hacked?

Hmm, he has been signed up since May and has 5 posts ? Just sayin. I won't pursue the link.