Fly Tying
fishinorhuntin

Best beginner fly rod length, WT and action

Other than the fact that, everywhere I look, the "Pfluegar Medalist deluxe fly fishing kit" has been discontinued? Probably nothing.

There isn't any difference. When we purchased it for my son, I looked at what it would cost separately and they look the same (both reel and rod) just alot cheaper as a kit and you get the flyline and backing to boot. I am sure the line on it is not top quality, but my son is doing pretty good with casting it.

I know this was back in August when I said I was going to take my son out and teach him how to fly fish, well we finally made it out to fish. HE IS HOOKED!! He was able to catch a couple fish and had a blast. They were some small sunfish, but at least he caught something! He did hook into about a 1 pound bass, but got it to the boat and it got off.

This afternoon we sat down and had him tie up some small beetle flies (same thing he caught those fish on) and he is hooked tying flies now too! We took them fishing and neither one of us caught anything, but he is determined to catch a fish on a fly he tied himself. He is sitting here now trying to tie a bunch of beetles and wants to go fishing again tomorrow. I also showed him how to tie up some wooly buggers/worms and is planning on tying some of those too!

I want to thank everyone for the suggestions they provided. I think I have created a monster. He loves it!

He tied up a flying ant and some beetles and caught this little fish today on one of his beetles. I can't get him to smile for any picture I take, but believe me he is having fun. He came home and tied some more up. I am going to have to hide my fly tying materials or he may use them all! LOL

post-59249-0-37083400-1476667544_thumb.jpg

I took my stepson fishing for many many years, he grew up to a 44 year old man and a heck of a streamer and nymph fisherman. He dry fly fishes quite successfully too but he really shines and enjoys the other two categories most I think. His weapon of choice is a 9' 6wt, though he owns other weights and sizes as well. But your photo looks familiar, he wasn't a smiler either, cracks his face with one now every so often though.

Congrats ! I'd feel great he wants to raid your fly box vs some things the kids do these days. Sounds like it's maybe time to start setting him up with his own though. Awesome, keep him at it !

I already bought him some fly tying tools to get started. I was talking to my wife last night and told her we probably need to buy him some materials so he can tie what he wants to. Of course, when you buy hackles and other things there is so much material that it would take a life time for me to use it all. I think I may go through my stuff and do some splitting of materials so he has some materials. He was up late last night tying up a bunch of flies. I had to tell him to get to bed about midnight! LOL

I had no doubt he would get hooked on fly fishing and tying since he is an avid outdoor sportsman. We were hunting Friday morning and fishing Friday evening. Like you said, I am glad he is into these things instead of what some of our youth are into these days.

That's great to hear. I'm very thankful my dad always had time to take me fishing. I have 2 boys of my own now. My oldest is 7 and he could care less about catching a fish. My 4 year old loves it. It's awesome to see youngsters get excited about the outdoors. Keep up the good work.