Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SpokaneDude

Thread spool keepers

UTC thread comes with a small, thin disk that fits into one end of the spool to keep the thread from unraveling. I have contacted Wapsi asking to purchase some of the "keepers", but they don't sell to anyone other than brick and mortar stores. The new ones are very thin which means I don't have to continually adjust the tension on my bobbin.

Does anyone know where I can find some of these?

I use plastic binding combs. These are the plastic combs which hold loose leaf binders together as in the photo below.

bigcomb_zps9bbf4ba4.gif

Take them off the binder and they look like this:

Plastic-Comb-Binders_zpsac16dd62.jpg

I went to my hospital print shop and got a bunch of them in all sizes. I cut them to size and they will fit around any size of spool. Here are the ones I use for the spools on my Norvise Bobbins.

DSC05040_zps05f46386.jpg

You can cut them to size to fit any spool including the regular thread spools. For the regular thread spools, cut them so two comb arms wrap around the spool.

ThreadHolder.jpg

book comb spool keepers are in dick stewarts 1993 book "fly tying tip & reference guide" page 52

whats old is suddenly new again

smile.pngsmile.png

That is really curious. I guess we old farts had some useful ideas.

I began using them before 1993. I came upon the idea independently. I had a lot of syllibi from medical conferences, 2 or 3 of them a year for years and some of them were just the right size for thread spools.

It's not the first or last time that the same idea occurred to 2 different people for sure. The most famous example I can think of was when my physics advisor, Prof Arthur Schawlow, won the Nobel Prize for inventing the laser but the patent was later transferred to another scientist who came up with the same idea. No patents on the spool tenders though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Leonard_Schawlow

https://www.aip.org/history/exhibits/laser/sections/whoinvented.html

I use UTC thread, wire, tinsel, and vinyl ribbing. Their spools come with a disk on one side to put the tag ends in. And they are color coded. I can look in the drawer if I see a red end I know its 70 denier, yellow is 140 denier. The tinsels, wires, and ribbing are coded also but I haven't taken the time to learn them.

Or do what I have done, purchase a bobbin for the thread colors you use most and leave them on the bobbin. I presently have 12 on the bobbin cradle. Tried posting a picture but the upgrade to my lap top won't let me up load from my phone. Need to get it figured out.

the EASIEST and CHEAPEST... get large plastic coated wire ties, like on you your bead bag but longer.

silicone loom bands. 1200 for a $1.00

.0008 cents each. pretty darn cheap

51fVYaEjrKL.jpg

Gotta admit, That beats mine hands down!