Fly Tying
FlatsRoamer

Affordable Saltwater Hooks?

Does anyone know of any? Just something that is stainless steel and affordable, not cheap. Thanks for any input

The Mustad C70SD Signature saltwater big game fly tying hook features Mustad's unique Z-Steel alloy which is applied over high carbon steel for a hook that greatly surpasses stainless steel in both strength and corrosion resistance. The C70SD big game hook has a straight shank, curved bend, 2 extra heavy wire and a standard length shank. All of the Mustad Signature fly tying hooks are designed with consistent hook gap, bend, wire diameter and shank length for precise scaling and feature a chemically sharpened needle point with microbarb.

Stainless may last longer but no where near as strong as carbon steel and when plated last just as long. Besides if you are actually catching fish on a fly it will not out last the metal it's tied on. I have used a lot of Eagle Claw L 067S Billy Pate saltwater hooks and been happy with their durability.

Cabela's still has them. Very similar to Mustad 3407

I don't buy stainless any more because they just are not as strong and can or will bend and cost you a good fish and for what...a few pennies. Carbon steel any day.

For anyone learning the saltwater tying scene all the different hooks and different price points can be a bit of a study (understatement).

General principles first -the more hooks you buy in a given size and style -the cheaper the price.... Most know this but if you buy a tiny package of hooks at your local fly shop you'll be paying a premium. Of course there's a limit to how many you need (and want) when it comes to hooks. Not many can afford to purchase in the 1000 per size bracket the way a commercial tyer has to... but somewhere in between you'll find a balance on price/quantity that you can live with.. For those wanting to buy in bulk you're going to need the usual business licenses, etc. and you'll also need to find a wholesale source (and some premium hook makers restrict their products so that no one can buy at wholesale -and as a result guys like me never use them at all...).

Now for the good news, although there are lots of different premium hooks available these days - they're mostly not needed unless you're hunting the big girls -tarpon, sharks, or bluewater species like billfish or tuna on fly. That basic Mustad 34007 is still the standard that you'll use for bonefish bugs, popping bugs, and popular patterns like Clousers, Gurglers, Bendbacks, Deceivers, etc... You'll need to sharpen them (and if you're like me -flatten the barbs...) before chucking them up in your vise ready to go... They're still available in boxes of 100 (I hope) at retail for every tyer (but recently I'm seeing boxes of 50 which are more money per unit - and I'm hoping this isn't a trend...) at pretty reasonable prices (compared to premium hooks...). No, you don't seem to find them by the 100 in fly shops (not the ones I'm familiar with at present...).

Stainless hooks aren't as strong as plated or tinned steel hooks - and they're certainly not as strong as lots of premium hooks today - but they do have an advantage that premium hooks lack... Stainless steel hooks will bend out before breaking - almost every time. Premium hooks won't bend out - but they will break when they reach their limit - once again, almost every time... Yes, my anglers and friends have broken premium hooks (Tiemco, Owner, Gamakatsu among others... ) -not very often but in every case it was a big fish lost. Getting back to stainless, I've landed quite a few good fish on hooks that were partially bent out but still holding. A broken hook, though is a lost fish - or a missed hook up (you learn early on to closely check any hook that was snagged or after a bite where it didn't quite do the job since fishing a fly with a broken point, barb, etc. is a useless proposition -another of those "ask me how I know moments").

Once you've been tying for the salt a bit you'll want to experiment a bit -that's when Tiemco, Gamakatsu, Owner, Varivas, Daiichi, and other premium hooks will become attractive - but it's still hard to beat that basic 34007 day in and day out....

I have been using 34007 hooks for longer then I can remember and I'm not changing now. For reasons unknown to me people tend to view them as a good beginner hook and then they move onto something bigger and better. I have never experienced hook failure any more or less with them then any other hook. I sometimes think people simply like to spend more money. Kind of like that commercial where two rich southern bells are bidding at an auction and the one says to the other "it's like daddy always says, money doesn't spend itself."

I have never ever had any fishing gear rust on me. Not salt water gear or freshwater because I use one simple rule my father enforced on me years ago. When your a poor farmer fishing gear was treated like gold. Never put anything away wet. It's that simple. If it gets wet it hangs off me or lays out in the boat somewhere till its dry. Saltwater stuff not only dries but it gets freshwater washed off before going back in the box.