Fly Tying

Guys and girls.

Interested in hearing your thoughts on fly choice for those days when none of the usual tricks don't work.

Don't get me wrong i had a reasonable day on the water, but it could have been better.

Was fishing for barramundi.....

Don't fish for barramundi, but my rule of thumb for trout is if the usual stuff isn't working, I go really small. I downsize too the smallest flies I have.

If that doesn't help, I tie on the weirdest fly in my box... usually Something bright, way to big, etc. Something they definitely haven't seen before. Sometimes that seems to shock them into biting.

Change speeds, not flies. I say that with reservations, since I carry 6 rods in my boat so I can quickly change presentations. However, before I pick up a different rod/fly ... I'll change the speed of my retrieve. Slow ... stop and go ... long pulls with equally long stops ... rod under the arm, hand over hand rapid runs ... etc. etc.

Usually, the one I get the hardest hits on is the hand over hand. It's tiring to do it over and over again, but the hits can be vicious if the fish are chasing bait fish.

Can't speak to Barramundi ...but for Bonefish longer leader, lighter tippet and smaller flies..... Or retire to the beach with a Kalik beer.

I figure that mostly when the fish aren't biting presentation is the key to get them turned on... Of course there's times each day in tidal areas where the conditions are really working against you (at slack tide, for instance, the fish aren't seeing any food come by and when that happens they just aren't looking to bite...) or the water is too hot/cold, or the wind has all the fish somewhere else feeding while you're working that favorite location (shoreline) where the fish aren't....

One of the most outstanding anglers I've known was Al Pflueger Jr. who at one time held quite a few world records (and just happened to belong to the club I joined - the Tropical Anglers in Miami where there were lots of real experts and master anglers for a young guy to learn from). Al really helped many of us learn -and keep learning. Today he's not fishing any more that I know of.... (I should live so long....).

At any rate he'd pole a skiff all day long with another guy doing the fishing - until it was just about time for the fish to turn on - then it was his turn in the bow... His fly box was full of bugs that weren't exactly much to look at - but he was a demon for getting a fly in just the right place and allowing it to sit a moment until it was down to the right depth and like magic he was very successful... Another tactic he used just put most of us to shame - while we were concentrating on tying the perfect barracuda fly to cast at them up on the flats... Al wouldn't even think of trying to fish for them until late November or early December when great schools of ballyhoo were on the first and second reefs off of the upper Keys... Then he'd wait until the blitz started and put a big fly right where monster 'cudas were attacking... As you can guess it worked pretty well....

That's my story (and I'm sticking to it...). Where I am many regard the fly as "just one more way to do it..." and don't reach for their fly rods until the conditions are favorable... Might be worth considering...

I also have no experience with Barramundi, but from what I've read they can get quite large & are usually aggressive. I think I would tend to go really big with a fly & as Capt Bob has said work on getting the presentation as perfect as possible so the first cast is on the money. This has worked for me with Stripers & LM bass in the past when they don't seem to be interested in the "usual" flies I might toss at them.

Going smaller does work to sometimes, but I think I would try the bigger stuff first.

I don't even no what a barramundi is. I don't fish for finicky fish. I would change species.

For our friends North of the Equator this is a bit of footage from an Aussie legend Malcolm Douglas. ( whom sadly passed away ..due to a freak accident )

This will give you guys who haven't seen a Barra some insight lol

How about using bright colours and add a rattle to your flies....I think keeping the flies large is a must with barra.