Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fcflyguy

Kinzua tail waters ????????????

dunno.gif I was planning a trip to the tail waters of Kinzua. the first or second week in May I never fished this area before . any info would be thankful going after trout and need to find a campsite. Thanks fcflyguy dunno.gif

Used to work at that dam and at the federal hatchery below it. Not sure what campgrounds are open this time of year. I doubt the forest campgrounds are open, but definitely check into them, especially the ones along the Kinzua arm of the reservoir. Also, you'll want to check on what the output of the dam is like. If she is wide open, it'll be tough to fish the river below the dam. I've fly fished it with success, especially downriver a ways. I mostly concentrated on deep riffles and did real well with rainbows, but that was many years ago. It used to be unofficially stocked with rainbows but I don't believe that happens any more. I do know there are some monster browns in that river. Tag into one of those and hold on for your life!

I fished it twice , no expert but- if water is not two high , wade over to island and fish down left side. Have different caddis patterns standard colors, Tan- Green maybe black for Grannon If the water is high fish somewhere else lots of good streams around their.

John

Give Bill Ingersol a call or email. He is now out of the guiding buisness, but he'll fill you in. He is a really nice guy. I was living about 1.5 hrs away from Kinzu this past summer and was contemplating fishing it a few times, but never got the chance.

Here is his contact info.

Bill Ingersoll, Guide

Email: [email protected]

Phone: 716.664.6872

Kayak flyfishing, guiding and instruction for smallmouth on Lake Erie, steelhead on Cattaraugus Creek NY, and trout on the Kinzua Tailwaters. Fully rigged for flyfishing kayaks (option wade trips for Steelhead).

Sign in to follow this