Fly Tying

The black zebra midge is probably one of the more common midge patterns used when nymphing in rivers for trout. They are very easy to tie, and super effective! I always have a few of them in my box, as there are always midges present. Since midges are always present in the water, they are one of the most important and readily eaten foods for trout.

Hook: Umpqua U202 (any scud or curved hook will do)
Thread: Ultra thread 70 denier - (black, red, brown, olive and white are common)

Check ou the video here... Or below the video is a link to my site where you can watch the video and also find more videos that I made.

http://www.mcflyangler.com/freshwater/nymphs/black-zebra-midge

What size hook?

And nice simple vid!

This was an 18, but only so it shows up better on video. Generally I tie it with a 24 or 26. The pictures on the video with all the flies in the box have mostly the 24 size. Some rivers do fine though with these 18 sizes, just where I fish, small is neccisary.

This is a must have fly for the Smokeys.Always a great producer in in 20-24

The Zebra Midge is a good one. I tie it with a bit of SLF Prism dub right behind the bead and have called it a Prism Midge. Its a good one too. I usually use Loon Flow on the body as well.

I have had tremendous success in the ponds and lakes of southeastern Massachusetts with a pretty simple soft hackle wet fly pattern. I tie mine with simple materials

so they are fast to tie, inexpensive, and not necessarily all that small. I use Mustad 3906 hooks in sizes 14 and 16, no tail, a small wire rib (silver, gold, or copper),

body materials are usually floss or a floss substitute, I dub a small thorax in a contrasting color to the body, and finally wrap a hackle almost exclusively out of grizzly hen hackle. I have tied hundreds of these flies with one hen cape - many times, I can squeeze more than one fly with a single feather! The other real advantage of using the hen hackle is that the feather stems are not as fragile as partridge, starling, or other traditional soft hackle feathers. These can be tied with a little practice at the rate of at least 10-12 flies per hour. The pattern can be changed with different body materials (including biots, moose mane, stripped quills, etc.) and if you like a sinking fly, instead of a dubbed thorax, try using a bead just behind the hackle. Good luck - this one really works!

The Zebra Midge is my "go to" midge at my local stream in Northern California. It is also very effective at Manzanita Lake in Lassen Park. At both places I tie it on a size 16 3769 Tiemco hook; this gives me the hooking power of a size 16 but the size of a 18. I prefer to use a beadhead version, either black or brass bead. At the other end of the size spectrum, I tie up Zebra Midges from size 12 to 6 for Pyramid Lake. For the size 12 I tie them on 3761 nymph hooks or 2457 scud hooks. For the larger flies I tie them on 2457 hooks. Pyramid cutts prefer midges with a bit of flash so I use holographic black flashabou for the body instead of regular flashabou.

Once your zebra midges are tied on size 16 and above, they are no longer midges :D ;) sizes 26-32 are real midges lol