Fly Tying
Mike West

Poppers..Time to start tying some tails I think!

Thx for the props guys.

I'm going to pick up some more proper bodies this weekend now that I have learned how to lay down a really fine line with the airbrush and do another couple dozen.

Then start finishing the ones I already have done.

I have a mix of stuff in the pictures,hard foam,soft foam, balsa wood and cork.

I have way more than I need but it's so much fun I can't stop.

I think I might do a trivia contest here and give some of the ones away that I don't like.

;)

All kinds..Mmmm... Most of them are Allen B200 Bass Bug (I really like these not just for the money but like the wire gauge for the size.) some are old Tiemco 8089 Stinger hooks and some are Gamakatsu B10S.. I really like the Gamakatsu also but the wire guage is really heavy for the size and for foam poppers in my opinion. I like them for big deer hair work and big bass streamers.

Edit: also have some Waspi Lighting Strike I think they are called. Really had a hard to time finding the right sized hook for the "Perfect Popper" Pencil Popper..the hook they want to hook you up with is a Salt Water Stainless hook and the wire gauge is just too big and heavy and the shank is not long enough.

End of the popper body should end before the point of the hook in my opinion and these don't. Some of these were tied on the wrong hooks as far as I'm concerned and I'll be giving those away.

Wow! Would like some close ups on some. The two tones....Some look shiny like chrome!!!!!?

All bodies preformed or did you make them too ?

Oops answered my question on da bodies....

Yeah I can do some close ups this weekend..those poppers are 3 hrs from me right now but I'm headed home this weekend to tie some more.

Not sure what you are talking about shiny/chrome but some have textured tinfoil and some have a micro glitter coating and some have pearl mixed with glitter on them. That's probably what you are seeing.

Thanks Mike! I use some of the same hooks, plus straight shank plastic worm hooks. (Gamakatsu, Owner, Daiichi, VMC, etc.) I like the Wapsi bodies, but prefer a bigger hook for the body size than what they recommend on most. I like the Mustad CK52S popper hooks too, but don't use them as much now since they don't make the bigger 1/0 & 2/0 sizes now.

That's a nice bunch of poppers. I'm putting together my top water stuff for my Canada trip. Found I had some holes in my standard poppers. Enough large ones but only a couple medium ones. So I'm working on the bodies now. I use the soft foam body poppers. I do have the Copic makers but for the amount I tie it hasn't been worth it to buy the air brush. I uses them for the solid colors. Permanent markers work best for me, since I can fade the colors. I'll post some pictures when I get them done.

I bought a cheap air brush many years ago & never used it. It's still in the package. I've got a Paasche air brush too that had belonged to my mother. She used it for ceramics, but it hasn't been used in many years so no idea if it's still operable. I like the look, but frankly have done fine with solid color bodies, with only eyes added. I guess I'll succumb & start air brushing the bodies eventually. smile.png