Fly Tying
CapeBSalar

Best Beginner Fly Tying Book

The Orvis Fly Tying Guide is a great book; lots of pictures and beginner friendly patterns, and just about every chain sporting goods store (Cabelas, Gander Mountain) and bookstore I have been in carries it. Paperback and good price; about 15 dollars if i recall.

Fly Tying by Helen Shaw is STILL hands down my favorite; clear pictures, step by step. I got a 1st edition for about 12 dollars, so not an expensive book.

Also, Art Flick's Streamside Guide, while not a book of instruction in tying, is a great book explaining why certain flies work and what they work for. A fun read, and one every fly fisherman or tier should own, IMO.

And, videos! Between videos ive seen linked here and on youtube, or for sale in certain places, a good video is an amazing help. A picture is worth a thousand words, but a video is worth a thousand pictures. I was puzzled about how to tie PT nymphs for a while, but a couple of youtube vids got me on track quickly.

Amanda

Edit: Forgot one...!

DOH! as flymanj, who's post made me realize I forgot possibly the best, and others have mentioned, Essential Trout Flies by Hughes is an outstanding book; cheap, plenty of good, clear color pics, and quite a few patterns.

I looked at my bookshelf and didnt see Hughes' book, and didnt think of it.

I didnt see it because it is in the drawer in my tying desk =P

I'm going to put in my vote for Skip Morris' Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple. The title says it all, and it doesn't lie. I learned to tie from it and I have used it successfully in tying classes many times. What I like best about it is the section that accompanies all the trickier (for beginners) tying steps called "Problems, Solutions and Suggestions", which tell you what's likely to go wrong during that step and how to deal with it. I found that invaluable as a beginner, when Murphy's Law was all over me like a bad odor from the moment I sat down behind the vise. :)

I also learned to build rods from Morris' book The Custom Graphite Fly Rod; at this point, it kind of feels like the guy is my uncle or something. :)

I would also agree with those who said that The Fly Tier's Benchside Reference is too dense for beginners. The stuff that a beginner needs to focus on takes up just a few pages of that mighty tome; the rest is for after one has a handle on the basic techniques.

I have not yet read the Kaufmann books, but based on the recommendations here I'm going to check them out

I second Essential Trout Flies by Dave Hughes. Just purchased this book and it's great. As a beginner fly tyer this book has cleared up a lot of my questions. I especially like how Mr. Hughes tells you the hook sizes for a particular fly but also puts in bold print the size hook that most represents the actual insect.

Trout Flies by Dave Hughes...I'm not sure if it is the same as Essential Trout Flies (I think Trout Flies is a larger, expanded version), but it is great for a beginning tier. Easy, no frills patterns that will work wherever trout fin. A person could fish their whole lives and never NEED a pattern outside that book.

If the following books have been listed then I absolutely agrre with whomever added them. If not, then These Should have been Listed.

Flytying Made Clear and Simple(Skip Morris),

Clousers flies: tying and fishing the flies of Bob Clouser(Bob Clouser).

Flytyingforum.com! although not a book, the single most complete guide to this great sport!

I caught this topic alittle late, and skipped to the last but felt they should have been mentioned. They have made a better flytyer out of me. And i only started fly fishing and tying about 8 months ago. Didn't know what a fishing fly hardly looked like till my friend had me go with him and taught me how to Cast. We caught panfish and Largemouth bass on poppers all day and i was hooked.Then I found these books and this Forum site. They are by far the three best investments Ive made toward flyfishing and tying. (the Fourth is my Peak Rotary vise) This forum alone is Probably my fave. Thanks to all members for the Awesome experience so far, and the great fly patterns and "how to's".

After allyou are in great company!

Also, Google & Youtube are great sources of info. (if you didnt already know lol!) I Have to give them credit....Thats how i found all three of the sources above!

I really like Charlies Fly Box, most of the flies in there are easy to tie and there is a lot of variety. Also the pictures are large and clear, if you take your time you can tie your way right through the whole book. Great salt and fresh water flies, hopper patterns, and dies are all included. Also if you enjoy tying EP flies, join Enrico Puglisi's website. He has tons of videos and step by step instructions for making unbelievable flies. Its 19.99 a year but I think its well worth it. Just my 2 cents...

While it's not purely a beginner's book, the Fly Tier's Benchside Reference can definitely speed up your learning curve by helping you understand more method-based tying as opposed to pattern-specific tying.

I also like Charlie Craven's book. I usually recommend that to people in my tying classes...

Also, Google & Youtube are great sources of info. (if you didnt already know lol!) I Have to give them credit....Thats how i found all three of the sources above!

I have to completely agree.

I was in a rut and going deeper till I discovered the u-tube.

I set up a Google alert for it and it has been a great help to me.

I'm using Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying and would happily recommend it. Followed in order it starts out simple and adds a new technique with each new pattern. Each builds on the earlier stuff so it's a great progression to build a solid foundation of skills. Plus, the flies are all useful stuff that you'll actually fish.

The Internet is a GREAT place to find tutorials, videos, instructions, and millions of patterns. There is just ONE PROBLEM, NOT much of it is structured. For a beginner, some sort of structured approach is a much better way to learn. Charlie Craven's book is one example of an excellent structured guide. Once a beginner has learned all the basics from such a book, or DVD, then they can use the Internet to dive into the deep end.