Fly Tying
CapeBSalar

Best Beginner Fly Tying Book

Charie Craven's book gets my vote. He steps through his flies in order of difficulty. brassie, then thread midges..etc. great progression.

...Also really like Davie McPhail's youtube videos though subtitles would be helpful.

Hahahaha, tru dat! or an interpreter...

The Benchside Introduction to Fly Tying, by Schollmeyer and Leeson gets my vote. It's a $45.00 book and a lot of book for the money.

I did a book review on it which you can see by clicking this link you'll find a written review and if you scroll down there is a video book review and three videos showing step-by-step instructions for tying three flies from the book. Two of the fly tying videos are for site subscribers only but one fly tying video and the book review are open to anyone who wants to watch. It's worth watching the video book review just to see the layout of the book (split pages showing tying tips and techniques as well as the specific pattern you're tying)

Great book for beginners or intermediate tyers.

The_Benchside_Intro_LARGE.jpg

I saw this pop up on my email notifications and although I can not see the top of my desk.............

There are so many good ones but if I had to pick one, The Benchsid Introduction, as mntioned in he earlier post, would be it. I found when starting that I needed a few books as they all had somehing different and explained it in a way that they melde together. I also have a lot of books I will never open again. Not bad, but not worth it.

I learn a lot visually, so You Tube for me is the way to go.

I learned from the Complete Bok of Fly Tying by Eris Leiser. Not sure if it is even still in print. If so it is an excellent beginers book

Can't believe this was already mentioned! This is the book that got me going from never touching a vise to catching fish on my ties. If you search around the internet you might find it to have a look at least.

The Complete Book of Fly Tying by Eric Leiser is a great one. I've got two copies - one at home and one at camp. That book was my first introduction to the LLama. Great streamer for Brook Trout and Salmon. The illustrations are great also - early Dave Whitlock.

http://www.stillwaterflyfishingstore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=16&zenid=im9q4lslvu3o13lp0p11c281k2

Brian Chan and Phil Rowley are 2 of the most knowledgeable fly tyers I have met. When it comes to freshwater chronnies and stuff nobody can touch them for their in depth knowledge. Both have videos on you tube as well.

skip Morris is pretty good too.

Marc

You might also check out intheriffle.com. He makes some great videos on tying and some good tips, and he talks you the whole way through the fly. You never have to wonder "why did he do that?".

not an ad just a poor college kid that cant afford books

This one:

http://www.amazon.com/Fly-Tying-Made-Clear-Simple/dp/1878175130/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1396355981&sr=1-1&keywords=skip+morris

I have the both Benchside books and Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying, but I like tying the same pattern from different books, as each author uses somewhat different

techniques.

Randy

I got the Skip Morris book as well and really like it!!! I especially like the spiral binding! In our Project Healing Waters Class we also just got loaned the "Step By Step Beginner Fly Tying Manual and DVD" by Ryan Keyes. I like that as well and will probably purchase the "Benchside Intro to Fly tying" as well if I can scramble up some spare dough....

I have found that there are a TON of great videos on Youtube as well. I learn visually much better than by reading/pics alone so Youtube has been invaluable for me.

In my opinion, Skip Morris book "Fly Tying made Clear and Simple" is the best beginners book.

I managed to get a copy of Charlie Craven's book "Basic Fly Tying" at an estate sale this past weekend and I REALLY enjoy it! I find myself going between it and the Skip Morris book.

I splurged and purchased a copy of "The Benchside Introduction to Fly Tying" by Leeson and Schollmeyer as well......I like it's split pages!

I just ordered 4 books from half.com was looking for good books and good deals all 4 cost me $24.22

1. The art of fly tying (dont give the auther) over 200 patterns 1994 Hardcover.

2. Tying Trout Flies : 12 of the Best by Deke Meyer (1993, Paperback)

3. The Complete Book of Fly Tying by Eric Leiser 1977 paperback

4. Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple : An Easy to Folllow All-Colour Guide by Skip Morris