Fly Tying
CapeBSalar

Best Beginner Fly Tying Book

I like Charlie Cravens book as he explains, with pictures illustrating each step. He begins the book with the techniques of tying on thread, the use of dubbing, etc.

New to fly tying myself. As I read all the post here on this topic. Im going with Fatman's advice on the online... Fly Anglers On Line fly tying series. ITS FREE! and at has advice for the beginner to advanced. Take a look at it. http://www.flyanglersonline.com/ There is alto of great info here.

Check out forum members, and friends, Al &Gretchen Beatty's recent e-books. Textbook quality instructions with electro convenience, at low costs, free to Amazon prime members.. Very good resources for new and seasoned tyers...

I have to agree, these are great books with great instructions, Later on I would get the bench side reference though. Can't say enough about Skip Morris and Kaufman books. Spent the last week thumbing through them and am still learning new things and brushing up on some other techniques.

Books are pretty much outdated in this age. Most use YouTube instruction and if new use hook sizes too big to get the feel and progress to smaller. I own books for the sake of patterns times and fish but learning is from seeing and doing.

I have to disagree that books are outdated at this age. My first book I bought was The Complete Book Of Fly Tying by, Eric Leiser. Since then I added a quit a bit more. Like the Trout and Salmon Fly Index, by Dick Surette. Has 90 color flies and tells the history and origin. Take the Adams fly? Leonard Halladay, of Mayfield, Michigan in 1922 first tied this fly and named it in honor of a good friend, Mr. C. F. Adams an ardent angler on the Boardman River in Michigan. Or a Grasshopper, There has to be a 1,000 ways to tie one. The first one appeared in 1653 in The Complete Angler by Walton. You don't find this stuff on the web. I do watch all the YouTube vids also. And have a laptop right by my bench. But reading from different great tiers. You learn a lot more than just going at it.

Orvis fly tying books by David Klausmayer have the best tips, but if youre just getting started, Id check out these two for newbie tips and tons of patterns:

Simple Flies, by Morgan Lyle

Step-by-step beginner fly tying, by Ryan Keyes

They really sped up the learning curve for me.

Hope this helps.

Tight lines!

i watch lot of video on YouTube, and read lot of book, but i am now little bit confusion about that how i start with my 1 acar land. can you suggest me good book.

Not sure what the 1 acar land is, but I've got a really nice and easy to follow beginner tying book on the trading floor for $5 plus shipping... Dries, nymphs, streamers, terrestrials, and bass bugs...

(Shameless plug)

I think she means "one acre" ... of land.

Amira ... I'd like to welcome you to the site ... but this is a fly fishing - fly tying site. I don't know if you're in the right place!?

Just for Kicks, Guys....I started fishing with a flyrod in 1983, having gotten the rod for Christmas of 1982. For Chrismas of 1983, My now-ex Wife gave me Tying Gear.

It was pretty respectable stuff, starting with a Thompson Model A, and a small number of Renzetti tools. When I asked her how she chose so well, she said...'I called this fella at a place called "Kaufman's Streamborn'' in Oregon...his name was Randall something....when I told him the budget, he suggested this stuff, and a book by Eric Leiser " The Complete Book Of Fly Tying".' I learned all I ever really HAD to know as a beginner from Leiser's Book. I've learned much since, of course,and from many other good books and Authors, but the Leiser book taught me solid technique, and about decent materials, and the benefits of good tools. Way I figure it, if Randall Kaufman was recommending it before he wrote his own books, it STILL has a lot of value for a beginner. Used copies go for as little as four bucks....What's not to like?

Good topic ,,we all have our favs. An what worked for us in the beginning, I have a simple standard....." Big pictures- simple words" .....on that note.....skip Morris, Dave Hughes,, Terry and Roxanne Wilson, I still print recipes from here and " faol" an when I go to a flyshop, I become that book nerd, I set up a table an chair...an see how the book lays,, so I can look at it when tying......don't know if it helps....there's my nickle....