Fly Tying
CapeBSalar

Best Beginner Fly Tying Book

Thanks Tag. I'm going to sift through the lists of books everyone listed and compile a list of the most popular then set up a poll on the site and see which comes out on top, from there I will choose the top 3 books as beginner books for my tying association. Hopefully we'll come up with a low price range, mid, and high price range. Should be interesting, thanks again to everyone for their feedback.

best,

Damian

Nova Scotia Fly Tier's Association

I have a number of books and wish that one of my latest acquisitions, "Tying Better Flies" by Art Scheck was available when I began 20 years ago. Not only are there several pics for each fly shown, (with improved and durable methods) but also there is a 'system' for turning one pattern into other types. He uses a conversational style that is easy to read and is very informative on material, hook and thread selection.

QUOTE (McManus @ Feb 18 2005, 09:53 PM)
I teach fly tying, and the book I use is Skip Morris book "Fly Tying made Clear and Simple".

That said, if I was sending something to someone who's only help would be the book, in purchasing hooks and materials, equipment, and learning to tie: Hands down 2 books. Randall Kaufmann "Tying Nymphs" and his accompanying book "Tying Dry Flies".

Mcmanus is right. I used this book when I started and I did so page by page. I was learning so I did'nt care too much for the materials used. This was certainly a good starting point, for me anyways......

Try the book "Basic Fly Tying" by Wayne Luallen and John Rounds. Photographs are by Michael Radencich. I think this is simply the best beginner book - period!

I have to agree with Sandflyx. Talleur's Basic Fly Tying is a great book for the beginner. It takes you step by step through a fly. The next fly build on skills you learned from the previous one. Great stuff!

At overstock.com

The Fly-Tier`s Benchside Reference to Techniques and Dressing Styles

(Hardcover)

List Price: $100.00

Our Price: $59.85

Save: $40.15 (40%)

The Orvis

(Paperback)

List Price: $29.95

Our Price: $19.66

Save: $10.29 (34%)

Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple

(Paperback)

List Price: $19.95

Our Price: $13.39

Save: $6.56 (32%)

Tying Better Flies

(Paperback)

List Price: $27.95

Our Price: $18.10

Save: $9.85 (35%)

I recently bought a book called the Fly Tyers Bible. It is small, spiral bound, has colour step by steps and photos. There are a few things that I dont agree with in there, but it is a good book to learn from. It covers flys and the fish they were meant to catch. It describes the basic methods of how to tie and the use of materials. It cost arround $25.00 and is one book that I think I will refer to often.

"The Fly-Tying Bible" By: Peter Gathercole

has 100 patterns in it for trout and salmon flies but in the front it has history, types of flies, techniques, tools, materials, and on the pattern pages it has the name of the fly, fish it catches, materals needed, step-by-step instructions and pictures, a description of the fly, and a difficluty level from 1 to 5. same thing as joe hard's post but more descripitive. hope that helps. headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

I tied for years but really didn't know what I was doing ( not that I do now ) but a book I got that helped alot was Essential Trout Flies by Dave Hughes. This site is also a tremendous help. I am tying things that I never thought I was capable of.

I don't know if it was packaged like this everywhere but you might want to get your butt off the fly tying bench and run down to the magizine stand and pick up the Sept. 2005 Issue of Fly Fisherman magazine. (Lefty Kreh is on the cover holding a Rainbow) It came packaged with "Fly Fisherman's Getting Started in Fly Tying" 21 Essential flies. 36 pages and you can't go wrong.

I like the Fly Tiers Bible for beginners. I saw it at Costco yesterday for about $15 bucks. It's well worth the regular price anyway.

The Fly Tyers Bench Reference is an exellent book however, I'd wait if I was a beginner before forking over that much $$. Make sure you like the hobby first. Or pick it up from Overstock.com. The price is right and even if you don't end up using it...it will make a great gift for someone else of it will be easy to sell to a second hand book shop. It does NOT tell you how to tie a particular fly but it tells you how to do different techniques, so when you see some fly pattern. You'll be able to find a way to find how to tie the different bits.

I like books with lots of pictures of step by step instructions. Otherwise Videos and DVDs are a great source on learning to tie.

As a little past new tier the three books that helped me the most to become a better tyer were:

Helen Shaw - Basic Fly tying techniques (While not devoted to step by step the practice and instructions on completing each stage/part of a fly it simply can't be beat)

Skip Morris - Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple ( One of the best)

FAOL fly tying series - it is allowed to print each lesson and use for personal use, and believe me it makes one hell of a big book and best of all IT"S FREE!!!!

Mike Dawes - Fly tying while it has step by step they're not in color but it's still very easy to follow and learn.