Fly Tying
CapeBSalar

Best Beginner Fly Tying Book

I'm way late to this party, but....

I don't know if I could ever narrow it down to *one* favorite book. I have a small library of them on the shelf. All have useful information in them.

As noted above, the easiest to use are the ones that will lay flat when opened, so that you can look at the page and reference something, without having to hold the book open.

Now, I need to go to the beginning of this thread, and read through the 23 pages of responses, to see what books I'm missing, and go add them to my collection!

Depends on what species you are targeting.  If you after Bass, I would suggest "Couser's Flies".  Charlie Craven taught the first class I took, before he published a book.  Great tyer and good writer.  Dave Hughes is my all around favorite fly tying writer, but Skip Morris has the easiest books to follow.

Beatty is name that will always give you top grade stuff.  As authors, Gretchen and Al are still in the game at the highest level.  And, have been for many years...

If I could only keep one reference work and because

I am a beginner on so many patterns, the best one, for me, with really diverse coverage is:

image.jpg