Fly Tying
CapeBSalar

Best Beginner Fly Tying Book

i'll get this book'' The Fly Tyers Bench Reference'' whit in a few days on cd rom

iff you giff me your full adres i send you a copie

johan

QUOTE (maddog48 @ Feb 19 2005, 04:55 AM)
It's too bad that Al Campbell's series on FAOL isn't a book. He has some great stuff there. I have to agree with Jeff. There can be some pretty intimidating stuff in the Reference. Kaufmann's books make for a good read. Dave Hughes' Essential Trout Flies has some good stuff, also. Some pretty decent explanations and directions on patterns that go from basic to the more difficult.

Mike

It could be. I printed it off and put it in a binder (of course, at work. Dont want to waste my ink). Maybe have that in a links section.

Okay being a fairly new tyer 2nd year and your question of what to send someone so that they could choose materials, and learn to tie, here are my top three hands down.

Helen Shaws flytying, it is mostly photo's of each step in a fly

Skip Morris, Flytying Made clear and simple

On the Internet Fly Anglers On Line fly tying series

I've learned most of my tying through these three and would reccommend to all.

Good Luck,

Fatman

For the beginner I highly recommend Skip Morris' "Flytying Made Clear and Simple". Although I read many new books as they come out, I still find this one to be the clearest explanation of the basics. Even after 12 years of tying I still go back to it from time to time to "freshen up" and just because it's a joy to read.

HEY SKIP, WHEN ARE YOU GONNA JOIN OUR SITE? serenade.gif

"Tie your own flies" by Roy Patrick is,In my opinion, the best book ever written for beginners.First printed in 1956 I believe.Great illustrations.Hard to find book nowadays- "Patricks Fly Shop" in Seattle, WA may have copies.

Dick Talleur's book is the one i recommand for all my students....It covers all the tying techniques to ty the major trout flies. great step by step photos..Its called Basi Fly Tying...about 35.00 to 45.00, depending on whether you want the spiral bound or standard..

awesome stuff guys, thanks very much, this should help me alot when it comes to putting a realiable "First Book" list for my association members. Cheers,

Damian

Another good one for beginners is The Fly-tying Bible by Peter Gathercole

Ken cool.gif

A begiiner needs a good book but not one that will cost so much that his wife immediately insists that he discontinue the hooby. With that in mind, two that are inexpensive, succinct and approach the "for dummies" level of understanding are:

"The Fly-Tying Bible" by Peter Gathercole published by Barron's $24.95

"Universal Fly Tying Guide" by Dick Stewart which is available for $10 on Amazon

Neither is exhaustive, but they both convey a thorough understanding of tools, materials, lingo, and most importantly the techniques used in creating the major classes of flies (dry, wet, nymph, hairwing, streamers)

The ART OF FLY TYING By John Van Vliet. Lots of color photos, step by step on all wing, body, and tail constructions with photos and it onlty costs about $25.00 U.S. It also is avilable at almost all wal-marts.

I learned from the Complete Bok of Fly Tying by Eris Leiser. Not sure if it is even still in print. If so it is an excellent beginers book

I would have to say the LL Bean Fly ying Handbook, by Dick Talleur. I haven't had any lessons and this book covers alot of simple tricks and has step by step pictures that make it easy to follow. He also has a book out now ,something like 100 tips/tricks which

I checked out of the local library, lots of good follow ups for common mistakes.

Started tying about 18 months ago - bought a shed load of books. However, the one that stands out head and shoulders above the rest is:

The Fly-tying Bible by Peter Gathercole

Why? It assumes very little and the photography (step by step shots with instructions) is first class. Indeed, it has probably established a new benchmark!

Regards

Tag