Fly Tying
CapeBSalar

Best Beginner Fly Tying Book

[/size]In

In all my years of experience, I still feel the the UNIVERSAL FLY TIERS GUIDE by Dick Stewart, is the best. Inside the first few pages is a measurement chart. This chart makes things easy and the explanation falls in place.

Tight Lines,

Brad

I just started tying and bought several beginner's books. I found Charlie Craven's book, Basic Fly Tying, to be THE best intro text for me. I'm not all the way through the book. However, I like Craven's approach of identifying basic fly tying skills and introducing different flies that will develop those skills. The pictures and instructions are better than any other introductory book that I've come across. I also like that Craven discusses tools, feathers, dubbing, etc.

I'm new to the forum. Been fishing for a lifetime but just started tying in the last couple of months. The book that has helped me the most is "The Fly-Tying Bible" by Peter Gathercole.

There are a lot of good books and good beginners books,I learned to tie with Skip Morris fly tying made clear and simple. I am now ordering ''FLY TYING MADE CLEAR AND SIMPLE TWO'' yes a second follow up book, cannot wait to read it.

Hi Guys,

There are so many great books out there on beginner fly tying but if I'm to pick two or three to suggest to the Association what three would you guys all reccommend? Now I'm talking never tied a fly before, going to have some lessons, need a book type beginner tyer! :) :)

Thanks.

Damian

Aside From Books I know of a podcast on itunes that i used when getting started and still do has many different patterns and was helpful to me to see a fly being tied in front of me and being able to pause and rewind if i get behind. It is called Adventures in fly tying with fly fish ohio

I love the fly tier's benchside reference but not sure if it is a beginners book.

I like the Orvis Fly-Tying Guide for a beginner book but the reference is the best book to own by far.

i picked up the Orvis Fly-Tying Guide and watched alot of youtube! i really need to take a class or meet up and learn how to really tie

I fish and tie saltwater flies and have not found a good book for it, YET. I have attended a few classes, joined a local flyfishing club and watched hours of youtube videos. I am not really interested in tying trout flies, mostly because the opportunity is not there for me to fish trout. In a few minutes I can be in the marsh hunting tailing redfish.

Howdy All;

This is kind of a sore subject with me. Most of the books that I have perused and read and the you-tube that I have viewed have, almost to a fault, overlooked or haven't thought about addressing NOMENCLATURE (Fly tyer speak), the language of the tyer.

When someone first starts out ON THEIR OWN, they don't know a barbule from a hackle, Very rare is it to find a video to show it or explain it. Most folks presume that it is common knowledge. It ain't..... Which side of a feather is "The Good side" Took me almost a year to figure that one out!

Someone NEEDS to write a book about THAT kinda stuff. Then we can say

"LET THE TYING BEGIN!!!!!"

I'm done now ...

hankaye

Howdy All;

Someone NEEDS to write a book about THAT kinda stuff. Then we can say

"LET THE TYING BEGIN!!!!!"

I'm done now ...

hankaye

Yeah, thank you!!! I'm new to this game and learning as fast as I can, but there is a whooping big iron ball chained to my leg because the jargon is like a foreign language. I have plenty of enthusiasm, even enough to drive the other forum members nuts, and I have been blessed with plenty of talent, but it is really hard to break the ice because of the traditional jargon.

My method is to totally immerse myself until I’m up to speed. I get there in a hurry, but wow, good basic information is extremely tough to get. Forum members are happy to help if you ask the right questions, but how do you ask a question in a language you don't speak?

Also, quite a large percent of the art is traditional usage of materials. “That book” needs to deal with materials, types of flys and how each is fished, fly presentation, jargon, and hook type nomenclature and why they matter. It is easy to get books on rods and reels and tackle set-ups, casting methods, and some basic fly tying, but some book needs to go back to starter basics and bring everyone up to an even keel. Like maybe, “Fly Fishing & Tying, Getting Back to Basics”.

If you know that book,.. please bang me over the head with it, I want it. What book is the absolute Fly Tying Bible??? AND ..What book is the absolute Fly Fishing Bible???

I still think that after all these years, copyright 1978, the "Curtis Creek Manifesto" is a must read for every beginning fly fisher. "Fly Fishing for the Compleat Idiot" has a chapter on vocabulary. B)

The "Flytyer's Benchside Reference" is your book than. Explains everything and I mean everything about fly tying. Explains all the jargon associated with fly tying. Herls, hackle, schlappen, and tons upon tons of other jargon that some of us take for granted.

I think that you shouldn't search for the bible from set of books,

For you to be the bible that book which becomes clear and comprehensible only by you as isn't present actually and stereotypes on knitting. :rolleyes: