Fly Tying
CapeBSalar

Best Beginner Fly Tying Book

QUOTE (McManus @ Feb 18 2005, 09:53 PM) That said, if I was sending something to someone who's only help would be the book, in purchasing hooks and materials, equipment, and learning to tie: Hands down 2 books. Randall Kaufmann "Tying Nymphs" and his accompanying book "Tying Dry Flies".

that is dead-on rock solid advice.

I can't agree more.

as a matter of fact I've said it hundreds of times.

mgj

I'll second and third this!! Randall's techniques coupled with his easy to follow instructions are by far my recommendation.

These are my go to's all the time.

Paul

I would have to go with Charlie Cravens book(s). The first is excellent at taking someone with zero knowledge through to being a competent tier. The second picks up where the first leaves off. I took my very first tying class with Charlie and not only is he a master at his craft, he is a master instructor as well!

Cheers,

4Kiwis

I just got Craven's Basic Fly Tying for Christmas and I am really enjoying it. I was unaware that he had follow on books, what are they?

I just got Craven's Basic Fly Tying for Christmas and I am really enjoying it. I was unaware that he had follow on books, what are they?

There is a second book...but I mispoke...it is not a follow on...but a collection of his signature flies. They all have tutorials just like the first book so it is still a great education! I believe it is called "Charlies Fly Box" after his fly shop.

Cheers,

4Kiwis

"The Art of Fly Tying" by John van Vliet

This is the one I own and it is very informative but at the same time, very basic, at least my copy of the book is. I say that b/c i am not sure if the book has a larger extension, it is doubtful, but the book is highly regarded none-the-less.

Add another vote for the Benchside Introduction to Fly Tying. The split format with the cross reference make it easy to review something you have forgotten without loosing your place. Easy way to learn the basics and how to read recipes. Picked mine up by ordering online with "send to store option" from wally world for under $30.

I started with two books and still refer to them on occasion. They are "The Handbook of Fly Tying" by Peter Gathercole and "The Art of Fly Tying" by Claude Chartland. Both are very good books with diagrams and color photos. I do believe that using a video is probably the best way as one can see how it is actually tied. For a video I have to say Jack Dennis' "Fly Tying Basics" is fantastic. Just my opinion.

The benchside reference is better than going for the 'how to' books. There are so many online resources for the basics that if you part with cash for a book you want it to grow with you as you become a better tier. I have a skip morris 'art of tying the dry fly' book and this is good as it has easy patterns and some more advanced patterns as you get better.

Not fly fishing books but great armchair fishing, Falling in again and Casting at the sun both by Chris Yates. Books that remind you of being 10 and the magic that it is to be an angler.

Books are very good references, but don't forget you're in the 21st century! I learned most of what I know from the internet, and it is an invaluable resource. Books usually go more in depth, but the net has endless chains of links to navigate. This is especially useful if there's things you don't understand - just go to youtube and find a video of it! This is exactly what I did with spinning deer hair.

Charlie Craven's book "Basic Fly Tying" is outstanding. His website at Charlie's Fly Shop has some of the best tutorials on tying flies I have seen on the internet.

As for you tube videos, I also recommend Davie McPhail. That man can tie.

i really like the books, nymph tying, and tying dry flys by Randall Kaufman. he shows step by step on alot of flies and also gives the materials list.those are currently my favorite 2 books

I used this thread to find my first fly tying books. Great resource, by the way...I appreciated the advice.

I picked up a few and Charlie Craven's book is by far the best at actually teaching you about the tools, the materials and the techniques. His approach to the flies you should start with is solid advice. He's the only one that will help a beginner with thread control. In fact, I was so inspired I wrote a glowing review on Amazon about the book.

Once you have the basics down, Peter's "Fly Tying Bible" is another solid book with a ton of patterns. I'm not enthused about his call for 800 different types of materials, but figure out decent substitutions and you won't go broke.

I would say the art of fly tying. i am just beginning to tie and bought a few books to learn from and that was the best one i found teaches you all about the tools techniques and teaches you someflys too.