Fly Tying
flyty1

Help with many questions posted here

I notice that many questions posted in the Beginner's corner are often answered with information contained in

either the first edition of Dick Stewarts "Fly-Tying Tips" published in 1990 or the second edition also by Dick

Stewart "Fly-Tying Tips & Reference Guide" published in 1999 and the third edition again by Dick Stewart

"Fly Tying Tips & Reference Guide" abridged in 2003.

Many times you can find these older versions on websites that sell used books - including one you might not

know about www.betterworldbooks.com (they raise money for libraries and donate books with part of your

transaction fee - they also accept used books (of all types) if you have them hanging around. Like all of

the places I have seen selling used books - be careful of the shipping cost, many times the shipping cost

is much more than the price of the book itself.

I agree with Dave. The whole point is to have newbies like myself ask questions or ask for help, then the "veterans" help them out...

These books are a great help for the "beginner" and "veteran" as well - they are well worth picking up for a price of $10 or less.

These books I am sure are a valuable asset to anyone who ties and would make for very interesting reading. One advantage of a book over the internet, is that it can be accessed in places where internet service may not be available and you don't have to wait for a reply to a question if you are in a hurry. My concern about books however, is that although some things are timeless, other things are not and a book last abridged in 2003 is likely to not cover more modern techniques and materials developing along with technology. What I really like the most about this forum (over a book), is that you get not just one technique or method of doing something but several methods, used by different people, whom you can actually talk to and ask questions when you need more clarification.

The only problem with leaving it up to a forum like this is that none of these forums have the number of folks they once did around ten years and more ago. I could rattle off a bunch of reasons on why I think they're not as populated, but the fact is, many people just don't come here and post any longer. You'll still get good answers, but it just isn't like it used to be. Many tying forums are dead or dying. Some change so drastically, that you may read the topics but never post again there.That goes for sites too. If you see a pattern or technique that's unusual, make sure to print it out so you have a hard copy forever. I've always liked Dick Stewart's Universal Fly Tying. It's a little old now, but for tips, techniques, and northeast patterns, it's hard to beat.

Regards,

Mark

This is actually the most active forum i have ever been part of, and for that reason I only post here and no where else. Yes, I am 14 and don't know what it was like 10 years ago but I do know that not everyone could edit and post extremely HI REZ pictures to help you out, like the many times that happened with the Rate My Clouser threads.

What Im trying to say is that I am very happy with this forum due to the amount of knowledge I have acquired and I am very grateful for that.

Hopefully I can be part of the FTF for a long time...

These books I am sure are a valuable asset to anyone who ties and would make for very interesting reading. One advantage of a book over the internet, is that it can be accessed in places where internet service may not be available and you don't have to wait for a reply to a question if you are in a hurry. My concern about books however, is that although some things are timeless, other things are not and a book last abridged in 2003 is likely to not cover more modern techniques and materials developing along with technology. What I really like the most about this forum (over a book), is that you get not just one technique or method of doing something but several methods, used by different people, whom you can actually talk to and ask questions when you need more clarification.

So true!I have a ton of books in my library that I still love to use!Plus a lot of patterns over the years get lost,but not with them!Plus they don't time out like my Android screen!

Back when this foum was new;It was slap full of people!!!There used to be an area where folks all did cam lessons together.But there were so many folks that it had people fighting and what not.It was always busy because people could finally share and meet other tyers.

I like it better now.Nice and everyone knows each other for the most part

Where is the Internet not available? For the places where internet is not available I think I would pack extra water and insect repellant in place of books.

I do like having some books around for reference just like I still prefer reading a paper newspaper.

x2 with Mvendon - I remember being the new guy WAY back and everyone was posting everything up for everyone. I post here and there when I can but it's just not the same as it was.

Other boards whether fly tying or other tackle making are the same. People come and go.

Step by steps - print out the ones you really want and put them in a binder. I have the Fly Anglers on line tying lessons printed out, great FREE resource. but I like having a book in hand

back to the original subject

i recently acquired a third edition of Dick Stewart's "Fly-Tying Tips & Reference Guide" published in 1999 and while it is a good book for fly tying tip and tricks is is by no means the "ONE" book all fly tyers need to have in their library.

the book has a lot of neat time saving ideas and fly tying tips but doesnt answer any questions regarding fly tying techniques. the best book for techniques is "the fly tyers benchside reference to techniques and dressing styles" by leeson and schollmeyer. it also does not contain any fly pattern recipes as it is not that type of book.

but in today's world of fly tying, forums such as this one or any others that are out there and the vast amount of information contained on the internet, all one has to do is a simple GOOGLE query like "fly tying tips and tricks" and in an instant a reply returns a massive amount of information.

just my opinion