Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Troutbum11

Bozeman MT

Hey guys,

After all the stories I have heard about Montana, I just could resit any more. Finally booked a flight out there to do some fishing and just enjoy the area for a little bit. I will be out there from Sept. 3-11th. Certainly not as long as I would like to stay, but that's all I could pull off right now. I will be flying into Bozeman and meeting a friend who can drop me off and pick me up at different fishing spots throughout the week.

So I would like to know, what rivers, streams, day hikes or other places should I be sure hit up while I'm out there? I really would like to hike up to a glacial lake if possible and hopefully get into grayling one day. Also I would like to target some big browns...

Any suggestions/ help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Wish I could help Troutbum but have never been to Montana and I'm guessing by the lack of response there aren't many here who have either. I do know you should try and fish the Madison while you are there as it is one of the best waters anywhere. Good luck finding out what you are looking for and hook up a big brown for me ok?

There are other fly forums i read which have members who often travel to that area (and others). expand your search to other forums. Also try to find one that focuses just on montana. Westfly has a section for Montana

http://www.west-fly-fishing.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forums/3/1/montana.html

good luck and have fun

eric

fresno, ca.

One time, when I went to Montana, we flew into Bozeman, but then we rented cars and drove down 191 to the West Yellowstone area.

Two things, though, first, the Galatin River flows north from Yellowstone to Bozeman, and highway 191 pretty much follows the river. Anyplace along through there where there is access there is fishing. Second, Norris is just a bit further west. Drive over that way, on Highway 84, and hire a guide to fish the lower Madison. It's big water and there are some nice fish in it. An all day float would be money well spent. I'm sure there are places, on the lower Madison, where you can park and wade fish, but you'd have to study some local maps to find them. Frankly, no one is going to give you that kind of information on the WEB, although someone might be nice enough to send you PM.

If you don't mind doing a few hours of driving, there are several miles of the Madison, below Quake Lake, where the river follows US-287. Again, anywhere you find access, you can fish. There are a number of posted areas, but there are also a lot of well worn access trails, included the fabled $3 Bridge (you can fish upstream on both sides, but downstream only on the right). This is a "no float" zone, so you won't be bothered by drift boats. Kelly Gallop runs the Slide Inn, and has a nice fly shop just below Quake Lake.

There are also good fly shops in Big Sky, and about a dozen shops in West Yellowstone. This is fly fishing country. The only problem is that they have to make their money during 3 months, so you aren't going to find many bargains.

Remember that Montana has great stream access and you can go anywhere on any river as long as you stay below the high water mark.

There is a lot of different rivers to hit in that area. The Madison is a great start with a lot of river to cover. Yellowstone Park should be fishing very well by the time you get there of the weather cools down. Cool weather might open the Firehole and Madison rivers inside of the park. The Gallatin is a great option and a nice little river with plenty of hatches to keep you interested and access that invites anglers(it can be crowded). Hebgen Lake might be an option if the area is too hot to fish anything but the Gallatin. The fish in Hebgen get big but the afternoons are windy.

My tip would be to hire a guide. Arrick's is a good fly shop and so is Blue Ribbon Flies. I've never been to Slide Inn(Gallop's shop) so I cannot comment on them.

I was just out there, We hit the Yellowstone and Madison and did well on both. We fished the Stone downstream of Gardiner, did well on Cutties on hoppers and spruce moths. On the Madison we fished between Hebgen Lake and Earthquake lake. Did well with nymphs, caught some nice bows. The Madison is about a 2 1/2 hour hike from Bozeman but you could drive through Big Sky and the Gallitin River follows that road almost the whole way and access everywhere. If you can get to the Madison definitely hit up The Slide Inn. Awesome shop and since your going in the fall the streamer bite should be killer and no one knows streamers better then Kelly.

Good Luck!

I have fished the Missoula area and loved it. Fished the Billingsley area and did not like it as much.

I have a friend that summers in that area.

Gallatin is pretty good fishing and isn't too far. Short drive up towards the mountains and you'll have some even better scenery and a lot of trout. Terrestrials will work then I'd imagine, and I did quite well using black thread midges (w/ silver rib, 18-24) as droppers when I was there around that time, a few years back.

Best of luck, I think you'll have a blast. Take lots of pictures!