Fly Tying
deerhairdan

YouTube Tutorials

I might make one too? It will break music laws, have lots of beer drinking & smoking, piss breaks, probably run for over an hour? I think i'll start with a woolybugger!:-D

Mc Fly

Your videos are just fine. You have to have thick skin on the internet.

My guess is 90% of the folks criticizing you don't even make any themselves

Yep, music during the instructional videos is distracting alright,. So is a coffee mug that never gets a sip taken out of it while some guy rambles on for 15 minutes caressing the foolish thing ( it's probably empty anyway), even if the tying is good when he gets around to it.. And maybe someone else likes it that way.

Actually, I was lucky enough to get one of those computers on it that has a way to control the sound so I can turn it up, down or off as I feel.

As for what we all like or don't like it kind of reminds me of the Olympics coverage. My wife and I will watch some parts of it and I enjoy the depth of competition and what it took for them to get there. Then they'll go to a 10 minute cut of this top athlete walking around the mountain home he grew up and giving big background shots of him/her growing up. I hate this and think it is a great waste of time. My wife thinks this is the best part of the Olympic coverage. DOH So maybe there are some who can actually sit through 15 minutes of coffee cup love just to see how he ties a fly. If I really want to watch him tie the fly I fortunately got on of those computers that has a way for me jump ahead so I'm okay with that.

Good points Vic, I get it and surprisingly, do that too ! I said I didn't like those things, I never said I don't do something about it or just move on. Anyway, points well taken .

when I finally do a fly tying video, I'm going to do it about tying rubber worms to a hook. And I'm not going to wear a shirt. AND I'm going to play my own soundtrack on my guitar...

I'm going to prove once and for all just HOW MUCH one of these videos can suck....

So you guys don't like music at all? Like none what so ever? yet you say you also don't like someone talking while tying. So do you want long, boring silent pauses after the person describes what they are going to do? Or do you mean you just don't like it when it's only music and no talking?

I find that the videos that have no music whatsoever seem to do terrible and never get views... However the ones that are only music and no talking also do bad. I seem to think that well made vids that have some (very soft) background music, that isn't intrusive, seem to do the best on likes, shares, and views. I could be wrong though.

Faded banjo in and out will not help a zebra midge reach the million view mark...
I don't think there are any fly tying videos with a million views. But the ones with no music, or no talking (music videos) generally get under 5k views for entire years or longer. But again, just my observation and I could be wrong.

I get a decent amount of views especially since my channel has only been up for 7 or so months. But I'll be the first to admit it's probably not because I tie he best flies in the world. Personally I think it's cause I put effort into the videos. I edit them, put some music, make them quick and to the point. Dont get me wrong, I tie decent flies, but I'm no where near as good as Davey M. Or any of the other guys that have been doing this for multiple decades. Heck I'm only 33 years old, I cannot clams to be as good as these other guys that have been doing it longer than I've been alive. I'm quite sure I would stop getting as many views if I stopped putting as much effort into making the vodeos. No it's not just banjo fading in and out, or the fact that my videos are short, or the fact that I keep the fly in focus, or the fact that I am close up on the fly with a plain background, maybe it's just the fact that the videos are decent quality in a whole. It's all those put together and more?

In my opinion, it's all about the fly. If it's interesting, people will tune in. Other than that, it's about remaining in focus, having good lighting, and that's it.

= 12,000 views. No music other than a quick intro.

That video was published a while back. 12k views is pretty sad. "Published on Nov 17, 2014" SO thats almost 2 years old, at least 1.5 years. Thats about 6-7k views/year.

- Thats one of mine, with 4750 views and it was published 4 months ago. Thats on track for 12k views each year. And that one has music. Im not saying that its better, what Im saying is that its all about preference. You like no music, some want music.

That video you posted is good as well. Im not saying anything bad about it. Im only saying that the versatility of videos online is a good thing. Different strokes for different folks. There are lots of video's I don't watch, or skip past. Some of which are quite popular. But its because they aren't my style, or a type of fly I'm interested in tying. Just skip past the ones you don't like. It is what it is.

I do have a question for you, Whats the point of trying to have a "bigger viewcount" argument? Especially with the FFF guys who have a legitimate business and killer content? In all honesty, you sound like someone who doesn't know how to handle an online presence in regards to trying to grow a website, business, or channel on YouTube. Quit being a prick to people when they respond to things you say. Its not about the music, its about the person and their attitude. Take your own advice. "Just skip past the ones you don't like. It is what it is. "
I'm not trying to be a "prick" to anyone. I even said that there video was good, and I have nothing bad to say about it. Read what I say before you come down on me. I'm actually quite a nice guy, and I'm having a decent conversation. Not an argument...

I'm not the one saying bad about anyone's videos here. Others however have completely trashed my vodeos in what they say. If anyone is being a "prick" it's some others, not me.

McFly I don't know any of these people posting. I don't have any fly tying videos. I was reading this chuckling away, some I found grade school funny and other comments I agreed with. I was not planning on posting. Your compliments to Cheech seemed snarky and maybe backhanded. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

Not being familiar with your videos other than it seems many times you post one either the administrators comment or someone gives it a bad review and you take all your fly tying toys and go home again. I honestly never felt like following the link to your videos. This time, I watched a couple of your videos and a couple of Curtis Fry. I have watched his in the past. Your tying style seems basic and to your credit you are pushing your fly selection beyond your skill and comfort zone. People that continue to push themselves either become good golfers or they learn the craft of fly tying.......... You tend to crowd your heads and seemed to be less skillful than some of the other tiers I have watched. You aren't the worst tier, but I wouldn't seek out your videos for instructional purposes. Your strengths seem to be behind the camera, in editing or filming rather than a tier. I laughed so hard about beards, music, cups, etc, but, the audience is always right.

I too am puzzled by the ego of counts. Is this a money market? I occasionally use a throw net to catch bait for large blues. I watch this video on youtube every time to get the throw net steps down. It has been up since Moses was fishing and it doesn't have 2K in hits.

This is a tough crowd, especially when you become the self appointed best, or criticism bothers you. There are dozens upon dozens of other self appointed experts here, many, many of them in fact and some are real legitimate leaders and artists in the field. Join some swaps and enjoy the site instead of making us your test subjects. I often tie what I think is my best or at least a pretty good "whatever" and I am all too often humbled by the dozen flies I get back.

Joel

When I do a video I'm going to wear speedos with pubes extruding. I'm going to burp and fart and I'm going to tell the members of this forum to f...off and not be sel righteous and then I'm going to belt down a beer and take a good sit down!!

Joel

When I do a video I'm going to wear speedos with pubes extruding. I'm going to burp and fart and I'm going to tell the members of this forum to f...off and not be sel righteous and then I'm going to belt down a beer and take a good sit down!!

Sorry Joel gotta vote here.....we may have a winner

Things I like most about the better fly tying videos on Youtube:

-- Novel designs and clearly demonstrated techniques, and material uses.

-- Efficient presentations -- a minimun of egotistical blah-blah but appropriate in-depth commentary about the issues above.

-- Condensed presentation of repetitive actions --- layering thread on a hook shank. building identical bodies on segmented streamers, stacking deer hair etc..

-- Concise suggestions on how and when to best use the fly in question on the water.

-- Muted music (if any) and a good contrasting background for the tying activity.

I just bypass videos that fail on these points and aggravate me.

Rocco

--

--

I just want to see a video of George Clinton tying a fly by clipping all the feathers and other materials out of his hair to tie onto the hook. For the soundtrack Parliament can play live behind him. Maybe McFly can do something similar with his beard?laugh.png

post-18514-0-50573100-1469607645_thumb.jpeg