Fly Tying
deerhairdan

YouTube Tutorials

So posting what one likes or dislikes is an attack of some sort? I think it's nothing more then one persons likes or dislikes and not an attack nor is it argumentative. What's up with all the drama? Drama belongs on Facebook between 13 year olds.

I have too agree that most are very redundant but I'll watch April Vokey tie any day.

I'm going to jump right in here with the blog post I have been working on for the last week. Bit here and there, but I did it just to get some beginner content started on my sight. This seems like the perfect place to drop an ad for a woolly bugger.

https://tieflycast.wordpress.com/2016/07/29/the-woolly-bugger-keep-it-interesting/

Did I get the right balance of music to talk ratio? I play all my own banjo cause I was sick of YouTube taking videos down cause of copyright issues. I honestly just love banjo and playing it. Earl Scruggs, JD Crowe, Sunny Osbourne... wonder if they fly fish(ed)...

I also want to keep the video tech enough to keep the interest of the seasoned tyer, but also not lose the beginner.

All kidding aside, I'm not looking to score anything here. I do this for fun because I enjoy sharing and teaching. I also enjoy learning and growing, so don't be afraid to tell me what you think. Any criticism is welcome!

Living in South Carolina near the Chattooga and having a friend who looks like Ned Beatty............I am not a fan of the banjo.

Ole Bo, I enjoyed the video. Just enough banjo to not be creepy. Good time length, commentary was all meat and no grissle, and you didn't waste time and bore me with thread wrapping, lead wrapping, sliding a bead on the hook, and feather cutting. I thought the picture showing the prep of the maribu was much clearer then if done in your hand. If I had to come up with a criticism, although I really have none but if I had a gun to my head and had to spit one out I would say your voice is teetering a little close to that of a hypnotist. Overall I though it was a quality video. Nice job.

I always like underwater footage of the fly ... and yours was very nicely filmed. That's some great movement.

I could ti a fly based on your video, so no complaints on that.

I don't mind if the same fly is tied by a dozen people.I still enjoy watching them.

I don't care if a video is HD quality or looks proffessional.As long as it shows me the basics of how the fly is tied and i can understand it and learn from it.Most of the time i will not tie the fly exactly like the video anyway.I change the color or some of the materials and make it work for me.I can learn from a bad video as long as i can see what is going on in it.If the lighting sucks or you are blocking the view or simply are not explaining what you ar doing good enough then i just don't watch them but i still give you credit for putting it together and trying to make it.

Bo i liked your video.Was clear what you were doing and your voice is understandable. I have played guitar for years but love a good banjo.I personally know JD Crow and as a kid watched my uncles play in bands with Lee Sexton and some of the coal miners they worked with.

I don't mind if the same fly is tied by a dozen people.I still enjoy watching them.

I don't care if a video is HD quality or looks proffessional.As long as it shows me the basics of how the fly is tied and i can understand it and learn from it.Most of the time i will not tie the fly exactly like the video anyway.I change the color or some of the materials and make it work for me.I can learn from a bad video as long as i can see what is going on in it.If the lighting sucks or you are blocking the view or simply are not explaining what you ar doing good enough then i just don't watch them but i still give you credit for putting it together and trying to make it.

Bo i liked your video.Was clear what you were doing and your voice is understandable. I have played guitar for years but love a good banjo.I personally know JD Crow and as a kid watched my uncles play in bands with Lee Sexton and some of the coal miners they worked with.

That's pretty cool... now I'm going to bug you to get me JD's autograph!

Thanks for the feedback all. I chose photos instead of video in order to keep it short... which is usually my complaint about tying videos. Any way, thanks again to all who looked.

I like videos that are short sweet and to the point, but that's probably because I've been tying close to 50 years.

I like a splash screen that list the materials used and then the tyer actually shows you the package briefly, all mundane proceedures are sped up or edited.

Music is alright as long as it's light/low and the talking is kept to minimum.

Actually prefer it......Blues or Rock Please.

😎

Here's my comments on tying videos: 1) Every video MUST start with a picture of the fly; how do I know if I'm interested if I can't see what will be tied; 2) agree with the others that cited the need for a materials list; 3) music is superfluous, the tier must provide comments on methods and important techniques being used; 4) should prvide suggestions for substitutes for the various materials; 5) ideally, camera position should be over the tiers shoulder with an uncluttered, appropriate color for background. Just my thoughts

Thanks, Bob H

Here's my comments on tying videos: 1) Every video MUST start with a picture of the fly; how do I know if I'm interested if I can't see what will be tied; 2) agree with the others that cited the need for a materials list; 3) music is superfluous, the tier must provide comments on methods and important techniques being used; 4) should prvide suggestions for substitutes for the various materials; 5) ideally, camera position should be over the tiers shoulder with an uncluttered, appropriate color for background. Just my thoughts

Thanks, Bob H

That's some good feedback. Thanks