Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Dthree

Tying foam?

I tied the blue foam on a #12 hook with sewing thread on a bed of thread same thread on the hook shank, no sign of cutting through. I then did a float test, it stayed floating for about 10 minutes and I took it outside to dry in the hot sun we have today( it would have floated all day I guess). Anyway, brought it inside to my vise and super glued the hook and thread wraps. It's bonded on there real tight now. I then painted it with Rite Stripe nail art nail striping paint, yellow. And it's drying now. When it's dry I'll do another float test, assuming it will pass. Then I'll think about hackle etc. So it's going to be a yellow hopper now.

That foam floats high and dry, I see why you guys use it. Hopefully the paint won't sink it but I'll know that part in a little while.

Closed cell foam = Floats

Open cell foam = Floats briefly then absorbs water and sinks.

Guess which is more expensive.

Regards,

FK

Another vote for Walmart/ Dollar store sheet foam. Makes great gurgler knock offs. Bream and bass love them. Any super glue seems ok. I use calf tail to make wings and tails, and like rubber legs. Sometimes silicone legs if I want color. I like the old fasioned white rubber legs best. Seems like white works noticably better on Bream for some reason. I think Bream get sometimes put down by poppers, while gurglers don't bother them. Sometimes they want a ruckus! Also, I don't feel as bad when I decor a te the bankside with cheap flies made of sheet foam ond crappie hooks. I fish in thick, gnarly places.

As to the op, you would need some pretty strong and wiry thread to cut through 2mm foam. I use a lot of foam for saltwater flies using Danville Flat waxed or Danville thread master 210 denier and have never cut through the thread even when pulling tight. I suppose something like kevlar may cut through it but it seems you would almost need to try to do it.

You got a Walmart nearby? I got a big block of 2mm sheets.... I think 9 x 11 size, multiple colors, several sheets of each color, for less than $5. Don't know the current price. They even had two kinds of blocks... on was all pastel colors and the one I got were all vivid colors.

16 miles to one and the same 22 as the larger Micheal's to the other. But we have a Job Lot and a Dollar Store about 7miles away. I have an Aubuchon Hardware store 1/2 mile from my house.

I don't know what the OP is up to but I got a hopper done. To heck with the Bluegill, I'm shooting for big Pumpkin Seeds and who knows maybe a bass will grab the sucker . I can use this blue foam but I found out that the striping paint takes way too long to dry and that the foam accepts nail polish fine, so the next one will be painted with that, since it dries way faster ( almost instant by comparison). And I'll dress the next one up a little better now that I know how this all goes down.

I use regular walmart thread or danville flat waxed thread for tying foam flies.Krazy Glue and Loctite brand superglues have worked fine for me.Never had a problem with melting the foam.Permanent markers work great for painting on foam also.You can coat it with clear nail polish.

If you have a Hobby Lobby near....they have a large assortment of foams from thin to thick and you can buy single sheets or bundles of colors.Prices are no higher than walmart either.

I tie a white gurgler with white bucktail for the tail and orange rubber legs and the panfish and gills love them.Something about the orange legs because i don't seem to catch as many with another color for the legs.White bass and largemouth like the same gurgler in a larger size.

Dave... you can buy it from Walmart online, and save the 44 mile round trip.

Dave... you can buy it from Walmart online, and save the 44 mile round trip.

Wife buys online from Walmart ... but only if she can order more than $50.00 worth of stuff. That's when the shipping is free.

True, but if the alternative to paying for shipping is driving 44 miles round trip.... let's see.... maybe he gets 20 mpg, that means 2 1/2 gallons, at say $2 per gallon... that's probably more than the shipping charge. And it doesn't add to wear and tear, and doesn't take most of a day to get it done.

We are going off Cape this weekend actually, we have to deliver my sister in law off Cape about 40 miles and will go past Walmart and Bears Den along the way home. Also a mile from a Dollar Store. This just came up last night, perfect timing.

True, but if the alternative to paying for shipping is driving 44 miles round trip.... let's see.... maybe he gets 20 mpg, that means 2 1/2 gallons, at say $2 per gallon... that's probably more than the shipping charge. And it doesn't add to wear and tear, and doesn't take most of a day to get it done.

The X-terra gets 19 highway ( pretty close guess!) in this warm weather, we won't talk about winter time lol. And gas here has been ranging right around $2.30 in most gas stations. That would be a $5.33 trip.

I wasn't arguing against you, Flafly. On the contrary, buying online, from Walmart is a great idea. They deliver quickly.

But do some shopping, since they'll deliver quite large boxes. We order the cat food for the "street urchins" (strays) 20 bags at a time. I only need to carry them from the front door to the storage area. Not to the car, then from the car to the house, etc.

wooly nylon = uni stretch

bluegillbug-1.jpg

i use size 12/0 veevus thread to tie size 10 pan fish spiders

use whatever thread you're comfortable tying with

Has anyone had problems with glue melting or not bonding the foam?

i have used crazy glue to bond foam but i do know crazy glue will get your rubber legs all twisted up!

I haven't used Crazy Glue I think since when it was about the only super glue you find around these parts, so a long time ago. It did work well on flies as I recall, though back then foam wasn't the rage it is today. Now I'm using Kiss Maximum Speed super glue in all my fly tying where superglue is used and if not, head cement or Sally's. It's designed to attach plastic fake nails to women's real nails I guess and it has worked flawlessly for me with thread and foam.The perk for me is my wife and adult daughter do the shopping and that secondly, my wife always has a supply of it in the house and my daughter at her salon 1/2 mile down the road from our house ! They get it in a beauty supply shop but I think Walmart has it too. For me, thus far, it has attached and held everything on a fly that I tried it on , well. I've been using that for about two years now. I thought I really liked the thick version but lately have kind of gravitated to the thin.