Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Dthree

Tying foam?

Any thoughts on Pool Noodle foam ? These are about 3/4" thick foam ( the noodle being maybe 2-1/2" OD) and have a degree of sparkle to them. Two colors available this late in the season, pink and a kind of chartreuse/lime green. Anyway $1.25 each, enough foam in one to last the rest of my life and I know they float. Just wonder if the texture might be a bit coarse ?

And of course I happen to have one at the house here and it's blue just like the foam sheet I already have LOL !

Foam is cheap why bother? Pool noodles look too course to me and because they are not as dense I think the thread would cut right through them. I'm pretty confident that a fish would destroy them fast enough to not make it worth it. 8 1/2 by 11 Foam sheets are 45 cents each at any craft store. They are thin but I simply layer them with different colors and it does not take much foam to float a hook. I use foam sheets because the traditional popper bodies are not worth the money when gurglers work just as well and are a lot quicker to make. I do still make a handful of cork poppers but when time is essential there is no drop off from a popper to a gurgler.

I was only asking because Cape Cod today has about an 8 mile backup of traffic going off Cape and I'm not going to be in it. This always ties everything up everywhere. On the other hand I suspect your assessment is correct.

Edit: All though this looks like pretty coarse foam used in this caddis. I actually tied a caddis last night using my blue foam but I glued it down unlike in this photo: thumbm_img42347efc751a3.jpg

Guest rich mc

my fav use is in tying a floating minnow by rich ostoff. but it is protected inside a mylar sleeve richmc

I don't know , I got some of this 2mm foam you guys all rave about around here. I see it making good caddis shapes for tent wing caddis and such, or Humpy backs, maybe a wing case but my imagination isn't seeing much else with that stuff. It's awfully thin, Guess I'm thinking more bulk. It sure isn't conjuring up my imagination any, it seems uninspiring..

I watched a video where a guy stacked some wafers cut from this thin foam. He folded the back edge of each wafer over the top of the hook shank and captured it with thread, starting with one nearest the hook eye, stacking one at a time. I've had some success with copying his plan on a quite small #12 panfish popper. It seems to have potential. I'm sitting debating if I want feather tails/legs or poly yarn ( I think I'm settling on feathers but supper got in the way). Anyway, just have to tie in what ever and a few turns of grizzly hackle and it's done. I super glued the thread wraps and the wafers. This is a very small and light weight little popper. I think bluegill will like it and a 4 or 5 wt will cast it. Tomorrow I'll dream up something a little bigger.

Foam hoppers I did over the weekend. Those are cool !!

Another foam favorite is the Gartside's Gurgler:

http://www.jackgartside.com/step_gurgler.htm

Somehow I visualize those Gurglers sinking but I watched a video of both tying and fishing one ( different than yours) and it looked great in the water. Not sure about fresh water, that one was for salt ? Guess so though, don't see why not.

I have tied them from size 6 to 1/0 for both freshwater and inshore. I prefer the marabou tail and I normally use ice chenille instead of palmered hackle. Sometimes I use legs as well.

For the bigger sizes you can do a double layer of foam and slip the lower one over the eye, for a little extra surface splash. I think they call that a Hot Lips.

Simple, quick and effective. My kind of fly.

I like the gurglers.Panfish love the small ones and large are great for bass.I also like the marabou tails for the small ones but for the large i have used bucktail or silicone from an old spinnerbait skirt.You can also tie a couple hackle feathers spread and they look like frog legs on the water.

The hoppers are also good foam flies and easy to tie.Really good with a nymph tied under them.

Crease flies and such ...

attachicon.gifP3270001.JPG

Mike, are those crease flies tied on Aberdeen hooks ? And they swim right side up I assume ? It seems almost like they might want to flop on their side with that much flat foam.

while craft store foam sheets are fine for fly tying, i prefer the foam from the hopper store. pricey but much better quality

great foam for the spiders i tie for my pan fishing

http://www.hopperfishing.com/store/products-page/

Yeah that looks more like what I had in mind, I'm working out ways to use what I have but I'll bookmark their page for sure. Thanks !

I am finding out that the really cheap stuff, 50 half sheets for $5, is not the same as the old single full sheets I have from a long time ago. Same Darice brand, same thickness, one from Walmart one from Michaels, so I do not know if they have different quality points for different stores or if they have cheapened the product over time.