Fly Tying
Brodrash

Badger hair uses

OK, so no bonefish in Utah, but certainly carp & bass, plus other warmwater fish. You can tie some small streamers with it too, like tiny Clouser Minnows and trout like streamers.

Point is it's a very usable material.

Back when I first started using badger, calftails were cheap and most of the popular "flats" type flies were tied with calftail hair. Then, one of the major wholesale materials suppliers did something to considerably raise the price of calftails. I believe they actually tried to "corner the market" so to speak. Made buying them in any quantity a considerable expenditure for a commercial tyer. I was buying them 50 at a time, so the badger hair was a welcome cost reduction for me. I sent a Florida guide that I was supplying with flies some flies tied with the badger hair, and he had his clients using them. Told me me he didn't know what was different about them, but keep tying them exactly that way, that they were catching fish on them.

IMO, badger is a finer hair generally than calftail, so has a better action to it. It looks the same as far as most folks know. wink.png

Scroll down to where he talks about using American badger hair to weave a hair hackle. Seems like it would be awesome c

I confess that since this thread started I have not looked at my badger hair shaving brush with the same eyes. Plus I grow a beard, so it is not like I use it a lot...

Badger, coyote and gray fox have similar guard hair color. They can easily be separated from the under fur. The under fur is a nice cream or gray. Any light colored nymph or dry fly. I have seen people wrap it like floss on smaller flies.

The guard hair are great for streamers. They make a dynamite Thundercreek creek shiner (hint Thundercreek swap). Use a dubbing loop with or without guard hair and make great thick bodies.

Borax the skin and it will last for years

I will definitely tie some of those shiners. Im not sure how to borax a hide, could you fill me in?

Fisherboy that is really cool I might have to give it a shot if I can find the time. I've tried making a collar out of it using a dubbing loop method but I've had a hell of time. lol