Fly Tying
flyfisher801

Tying Magnification

Reading glasses beneath an Optivisor really brings stuff up there. I have an Opti, but seldom use it as I don't want to see my errors magnified. Life is difficult enough already.

I have one of those lighted ones like spm posted. Way too clumsy to use, and more in the way than helpful. I also have one similar to Kentucky Steve's and use it a lot for whatever closeup things need to be done. Much handier.

When I get suited up to tie really small flies ...

I don't need no stinkin' magnifying glasses !!!

Dollar store reading magnifiers and a good bright light. I actually asked my optometrist for stonger glasses for tying and he recommended this to me.

Les

steampunk_goggles___with_head_for_scale_

Typical fly tyer ! Take a simple problem and complicate it beyond belief. LOL I do like the idea of the addition of the old radio tubes though.

Les

Thanks for all the feedback, I think I'm going to go with some reading glasses maybe a 3x or something. I wear safety glass for work all day so should really be any different in comfort, thanks everyone for all the feedback. I just started tying flies a couple of weeks ago but so far it's like crack for me I can't get enough. I just need to get out to the river now and put them to use.

I am also so nearsighted I just take my glasses off. I am good to go down to 22's. Haven't tried anything smaller recently.

OptiVisor, I DO NOT like desk mounted magnifiers they always seem to get in my way and they take up valuable bench space that I could have cluttered with even more fly tying materials and scraps.

"I don't feel like an old man..... I just feel like a young man that has a lot of things wrong with him"

Arthur Godfrey

Old topic, but hey, I'm and old guy now! Why didn't anyone tell me that turning 50 would really be tough for tying small flies? It's been about 10 years since I tied regularly and after getting back into the hobby, I figured I would start with a size 18 midge. Holy cow. I don't remember it being so difficult.... So I'm using a head set with 3x magnification. It isn't bad, but wouldn't mind something a little stronger. I need something to work over my glasses. Any other suggestions? Perhaps a desk magnifier?