Fly Tying
flyfisher801

Tying Magnification

Daughter got me a pair of Carson fly tying glass for Xmas. They are 2x and clip on my glasses I love them easy to flip up when not needed. I have tried different stationary magnifiers but never liked them these seem to do the trick

I started using half readers from drug store a number of years ago and still do, Some days 2.50 and some days 3.00, But more importantly I learned to fish bigger flies, I have 22s and 24s that haven't been wet in maybe 15 years. Not so bad building them at the desk as it is fumbling with stiff fingers to get them on a tippet

Prefer the half reader style because I can look over them to the far side of the table or scoot them up/down the nose to reach a comfortable spot.

I've been using cheap reading glasses for years but they don't make them above 3x. I can't really use my regular glasses as they're graduated trifocals. For larger flies I can use my prescription reading glasses. I settled on a pair of the Orvis 5x glasses for all my tying now. Do have to flip down the regular glasses sometimes when I'm looking for materials.

For people that have basically good vision as some have mentioned (and for those who don't), use the best lighting you can. Really good, bright daylite types make a major difference.

Thanks, Bob H

I upped my reading glasses on a trip to 99 cent store (3.5x), and brought in two old halogen desk lamps from the garage to add to my LED. Did the trick, at least for now... Hopefully the halogen lamps won't melt my vise.

I found that having a solid black or white background to tie in front of helps me more than magnification. I have a solid 12x12 inch sheet of white plastic with a black construction paper fixed to one side. I do have prescription tying glasses which do have some magnification. Hope this helps.