Fly Tying
flyfisher801

Tying Magnification

I'm interested in what people prefer for magnification for tying flies. I'm thinking I would like to get a pair of maybe the clic magnetic glasses but I'm also not sure if it would be better to just get a magnification lens that I've seen in stores. I would rather not have to worry about setting up a lot of different equipment to get a better view of my flies because I don't have a fancy fly tying bench, which is why I think glasses would be the way to go. However that being said i would like others opinions on what has worked best for them over the years. By the way I have very good eye sight and don't require prescriptions but have noticed when tying flies some times it's hard to see whats going on with things.

Personally, I prefer magnification that stays with me. I find it very distracting to have to re-position

a magnifying lens every time I move my head; plus I don't have to worry about having another item

to hit when I am maneuvering around the vise. I would rather have excellent lighting around the fly

and keep magnification (when I need it) on my face - either with a binocular magnifier or, powerful

drug store "readers".

I keep 2.50 magnification in my tying box all the time, been in there for years ( drugstore glasses) and I can tie fine with those. But if I add the 4x magnifier desk top with LED lights built in , I then can see #20 midges not just crystal clear but magnified and the thread looks like rope going on. Can see each individual wrap profoundly well. I keep that magnifier over my vise 24/7 and yes it did take some getting used to tying with it there. I can tie with it alone too and the extra lighting is helpful in dark rental cottages or like right now I have it set up in our dining room while we work on my studio and larger desk we put in there ( old desk, needs a bit of TLC but man am I gonna have tying space plus keep a lap top on there, it's 5 ft long and 26" wide plus has an extra shelf on top)..

I'm a little different from most of you in that I am near sighted. I can still tie down to a #16 or even #18 without magnification. Still, there are times when the eyes are tired, or the light is bad, where a little bit of visual boost is helpful. For this I use a pair of cheap drug store reading glasses in 2.5+. Most of the time, that, and good light, are all I need.

For those occasions where extra magnification is needed, I have a 4x inspection lamp on a swing arm that I can bring over my vise. The lens is large enough that I can look through it with both eyes at the same time. As stated, it takes a minute to get used to what you are seeing, but after that, you can work under it quite well. I prefer to not use it, though, because all that magnification tends to mess up my sense of proportion.

I have to get me something...my eyes have gotten really bad. I can't see if the thread has a twist anymore.

Anyone ever tried these?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005VIG6TA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Check this out before you buy any headband magnifier.

I have a cheap pair of these with plastic lenses that works pretty good. I like that the Optivisor has glass lenses,but they are pricey.If something happens to my elcheapo pair,I think I'll give this brand a shot.Just remember if you get the strongest magnification they offer,you'll need to position your work 4'' away from you,which might be too close.

Whew, talk about bad videos.

It may have been a little confusing but the power/magnification is directly related to the focal length. The guy in the video almost made it sound like you could get any magnification for the working distance you were at.

I am an engraver and have been wearing the plastic lens Magnifocuser for over 30 years without problem. I more often use the 1.75X with a focal distance of 14". I use this same pair when I am at the vise because it keeps me back away and I can sit up straight and not get a sore back or neck. I would suggest not getting a magnification over 2x as that focal length is 10".

Years ago I had a Bausch & Lomb set with glass lenses and I really saw no difference in optical quality between them and the Magnifocuser with plastic lenses.

By the way, Magnifocuser is the same company that makes the Flip-Focal clip-on magnifier for fishing. It's the same lens quality used in both.

I used to have good vision until I started getting old. I now use 2X reading glasses to find materials and other stuff around my bench, and use Orvis's 5X glasses to tie. You don't have to be up close to see the fly really well, and I wear safety glasses all day long at work so it's not a big deal.

Regards,

Mark

Tried the headband magnifier; it was always in the way and never in the right position to work.

I use this from the hobby store for about $30.

steve

DSCN0784_zpsf1e9075f.jpg