Fly Tying
add147

Cutting Foam Sheets

I have been tying some foam flies using foam sheets from Hobby Lobby. I mostly been using the 2 and 3mm sheet and have made some pretty decent top water flies for bass and pan fish. I was wonder who is using foam sheets and what do you to cut your foam in the strips. I have been using a metal ruler and a razor blade cutting one sheet at a time which is ok I guess but when you are cutting many strips it is a pain in the rear to say the least.

I have been looking a some quillotine style paper cutters and well as the rotary types. Anyone used either of these types of paper cutters to cut the foam sheets? If so I should would like to hear your thoughts and opinions. I am just trying to find a better and faster way to cut my foam strips.

i dont cut a lot of foam strips at one time so i too use the cutting board, ruler and utility knife

or for just a few flies i'll use good old fiskar scissors

fiskars_scissors.jpg

i would think the more sheets you stack in a guillotine cutter the more uneven they would be due to slippage

LOL...Leave it to you flytire..I just knew you were going to gig me! LOL LOL

I see you point about stacking the sheets never gave that any thought. I guess it would be better just one sheet at a time.

I use scissors to cut the strips for many foam flies, but when I need a lot of one width, I use a Fiskars rotary paper cutter.

I bought the paper cutter many years ago for trimming paper, and it works great for foam. I should probably use the Fiskars more often. It is more precise and even than eyeballing the cut with scissors.

If you can find someone that has an old paper cutter, it sure works well.

Google swing line paper cutter to see what it looks like.

I have a friend that has one. Took 10 minutes to cut a sheet each of white, yellow, brown, black and green.

Have strips from 1/8 inch to 1/2 inch wide in all colors.

Rick

I use a guillotine paper cutter. It works great. The old ones, if you can find them, are better, but the modern ones will slice up your foam, one sheet at a time, just fine. I usually sheer off a year's worth of strips in one session. You can get one off Amazon for about $25, which is about the same as a good pair of sheers.

Another technique is to take a drywall taping knife, and use it as a cutting guide. Set the edge of the knife on your foam marking off the width of the strip you wish to cut, and then use a the edge of the knife as a cutting guide (drywall taping knives are not sharp) and slice the strip off with a sharp utility knife.

I use a ruler (cork back is best, doesn't slip) and exacto knife on a teflon cutting board. also have a beaver-tail shape cutter and stealth bomber cutter

Try the Clever Cutter out. You'll be able to cut your foam strips accurately AND in just a matter of seconds. You'll have so much time left over that you can use it to slice up some vegetables for a nice salad, or maybe some toppings to go on your favorite pizza ! biggrin.png

https://www.buyclevercutter.com/?utm_source=Google_TM&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=CPD&gclid=COvEq6Cioc4CFcxahgodmbkPGA

I use a steel ruler and one of these rotary cutters from hobby lobby.Walmart also sells them.Works great for 2 or 3 layers of foam.

504589%5B5%5D.jpg

I use my table saw when I am feeling "tech-y-ish". I pull out the ol' stone ax if I am feeling the need to bolster my masculinity.

For straight strips, a ruler and pencil to mark the ends of the sheet evenly. Then the ruler and a knife. The whole process takes just a few minutes. I don't see any need to complicate it more than that.