Fly Tying
TedderX

The Fly Review

I would suggest putting something solid color behind your fly when taking a picture to isolate it from the background. A couple of the pics were harder to see detail than others, you can see improvement in the tying. Others have brought up some great points.

I am SORRY, but the Renegade (and variations i may come to teach you about) is my most favorite fly to tie...Since about 1979. I have to scream at you here. PLEASE QUIT TRYING TO TIE THIS TILL YOU GET THE RIGHT SIZED HACKLE. Your head is a little long but great for fishing. Your P-cock herl looks very close to flat and i can tell you will catch on soon to that. BUT until you find hackle at your hook size you will never be able to tie a fly that looks good. If any thing go a size smaller and over hackle to give balance...I know i am guilty of that on half my ties, but no=one can tell...or they don't care enough to say anything.

Sorry if i am mean, But i am dumbfounded by no-one telling you about proportions...Maybe look into that???

For the Renegade (and other dry flies) I think I've finally figured out that I need cock saddle where as I have hen cape.

You guys could have just said that.

Same fly in both pictures, just two different backgrounds.

New hook, new hackle, new hackle method, new peacock herl method (wrapping one with the veins facing out vs twisting 3-4 together).

I know I messed the head up. Other than that, yea or nay?

WP_20160821_002_zpsmdqyxmx1.jpg

WP_20160821_006_zpswnmxioti.jpg

Hi. Do you (OP) have a hackle gauge? the hackle, whatever kind it is, seems a bit long (oversized) for the hook you are using. I'm coming in a bit late to this thread, but yes, you need rooster hackle designed for dry flies. you can call it cock feather, but i prefer that word for mixed company. that's the first key. the second is selecting the right size feather for the hook size you are using.

both saddles and capes (for dry flies) would work. one just has a wider range of feather sizes. a saddle has a smaller range of feather sizes (say, 14-18 as an example), but still plenty of feathers to last you a very long time.

also, i need to add, which i wish many in my situation would do, is add the disclaimer, i fish mainly for trout, but have never tied a Renegade. And I've only been tying for a little over a year. So i may be off.

eric

fresno, ca.

extremely nice peacock herl bodies are not difficult to do on hooks from about 12 and larger--- I use 3 or 4 herls along with one strand of tying thread. Trim the ends of the herls and the thread to an even length and put in a hackle pliers. Spin the whole thing under gentle tension to make a "chenille" out of the herls and the thread- the thread gives the strength needed to do this. Then wrap your body.

For smaller flies, do the exact same thing but use herls from the EYE of the peacock tail feather. Done.

Just a quick tip on using a background for photographs. If you leave about a 6 inch gap between the fly and the background, the camera has an easier time focusing on the fly and you can get better contrast between the fly and the background. The gap also helps eliminate shadows.

Concerning the hackles on the dry flies, the general rule of thumb is that the length of the hackle when wrapped around the shank of the hook should be about the same length as the gap (the distance between the hook shank and the hook point). You can bend a feather around the hook to check if it is the right length before you pull it off the skin. You may have to try several different feathers to find one that is the right size for the hook you are using.

With that said, I think you are off to a great start! Keep it up.

Invest in a few good quality dry fly capes!Whiting is a good route.The dry fly hackle fibers are really stiff.Over-all not bad ties man!

American Pheasant Tail Nymph. I'm kind of proud of this one.

Edit: no clue why it turned my picture sideways. And no clue why I can't get photobucket to work tonight either lol.

post-59595-0-04470300-1472789826_thumb.jpg

post-59595-0-97281500-1472789830_thumb.jpg

American Pheasant Tail Nymph. I'm kind of proud of this one.

Edit: no clue why it turned my picture sideways. And no clue why I can't get photobucket to work tonight either lol.

Nice work on the pt nymph :)