Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bugsy

How It's Made: Regal Fly Tying Vise

Do they not see the notches that secure the hooks...? smile.png

Thanks, I happen to have a Regal and that was cool to watch.

wrong line.

Do they not see the notches that secure the hooks...? smile.png

Thanks, I happen to have a Regal and that was cool to watch.

What are you referring to?

Tedder,

I thought all Regal vises had notched jaws (a small curved notch in the inside of one jaw) that matches the bend of the hook and holds it against the other jaw VERY securely.

That seems peculiar to me. Wouldn't you have to have different jaws for each different type of hook that all have diferent bends/sizes?

That is the beauty of it.

The notch is designed in such a way that matches well with most every hook.

I am sure that there are exceptions, and some of the more experienced tiers can probably tell, but I have not found one. My ties are in sizes 10 to 3/0.

I imagine that very small hooks don't work as well, if nothing else because the jaws are massive in comparison to the hook and probably get in the way. So I am guessing this is why they have other lines with finer jaws and no notch. The pressure of the jaws alone can probably hold those down securely.

If you look close at the very last shot of the jaws you can see a dent in the center. I actually have a VERY old pair that has three notches for choosing different sizes. They found a way to make one curved notch work...It made them very different.

I watched it last night! The old lady got upset cause it was on the same time as one of her shows. Pretty neat deal...Cool beans!!!

Thanks Bugsy-

I love watching How it's made and even better when they feature

something I know and use!!!

I think the new ones don't have the notches.

An enjoyable watch. I like my Regal. I'm not exactly sure why I like it so much. A small hook can be a challenge, though.

not every hook will work with the slot

hook-placement.jpg

I think the only reason why the setups on the right are incorrect is that the hooks are too close to the edge of the jaws and the vise will spit the hook.

If you set them up further in, even if they are not in the notch, like the ones on the left, the vise will hold them fine.

If they are in the notch, you will not dislodge them no matter how much pressure you put on them.

Like I said, I think it is only very small hooks that the big Regal jaws will not work with well, but, rather than a holding power issue, it is the fact that finer jaws give you more real space around the bend of the hook to work on the fly.