Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
nickdu

good video(s) for beginner on rotary vise

Hi. I'm new to the forum. I'm new to fly tying. Well not really. I did tie 1 fly in the past when I took a fly fishing class at Orvis in Vermont. We learned how to tie a fly that looked like a pellet :). Now I would like to start tying real flies. I've got the Renzetti Traveler 2000 rotary vise. I'm wondering whether there are some videos/DVD's, don't mind paying, out there which might be good for a beginner. I'm thinking watching someone might be better than reading a book.

Thanks,

Nick

I wouldn't say it's so much for beginners but if you want to see someone put a rotary vise to use to it's max potential, then watch Norm Norlander on the Nor-vise. And yes you will pick up tips to use on any rotary system, even my cheap and crude rotating Indian vise has worked for much of what he does, if slower. He has a whole series on using the Nor-Vise. You don't have to get hung up on owning one to watch the video series. You can find his videos in a general search.

Here is a taste: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=On+the+Nor-Vise+Tying+Flies&&view=detail&mid=087B00DCAD5E1129CF41087B00DCAD5E1129CF41&FORM=VRDGAR

You Tube is your friend indeed! There are tons of videos out there. Some are better than others I cannot even imagine how folks before the internet even got started in this hobby!!!

You Tube is your friend indeed! There are tons of videos out there. Some are better than others I cannot even imagine how folks before the internet even got started in this hobby!!!

Books, imagination, fellow tyers, seminars, classes. It might have taken ten years to even discover a certain pattern because you hadn't run into the right guy along the way etc..., Today you can search it out in a few minutes and have it up on your screen,order the materials in , they come in two days. It was just a different world with no .com.

Great post Mike... that makes it so much simpler when this question comes up again. (If I use it, I'll certainly give credit to you... OK?)

LOL No need to give credit. I just used MSPaint to make it simple. Please, feel free to save it and use it when ever you can.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm sure a big step is also just getting into it and tying a fly. Since I have a Renzetti Traveler rotary vise I was checking out their site and noticed they sell a DVD on there titled "Rotary Fly Tying by Mike Holt". It seems Mike has also setup a site, http://rotaryflytying.com/, and it seems if I subscribe to that site I get all the videos for free, though I'm not sure if the "Rotary Fly Tying" DVD is part of their online collection. Does anyone have experience with that site?

Thanks,

Nick

Learning the basic tying techniques are extremely important. proportions , selection of proper materials are critical. Some specific patterns are more condusive for rotory tying. I rarely use the rotory feature if my vise , BUT, having the feature enables us to observe the pattern from all angles, funny hiw the near side of fly always looks better than the far side . Best to key in on the basics , then once those have been accomplished you can begin to speed up the process with the renzetti features

I agree, just started fly fishing and tying a year ago. Its pretty cool that I was shown how to tie a klinkhamer by Hans Von Klinken and Bob Jacklin taught me how to tie march brown nymph.

I cannot even imagine how folks before the internet even got started in this hobby!!!

i had a very good tying instructor that taught way more without the internet than most youtube videos teach today with the internet