Fly Tying
1hook

Best Top Coat for Poppers?

If you get a foam sanding pad with the 1/4'' shank on it and you have a lockable variable speed electric drill , well you take it from there. You don't need a ton of imagination to have a functional multi fly dryer. It's got to be able to lock at a slow speed though, not all drills do that..

Thanks for the replies guys, picked up some liquid fusion yesterday to try..one more question if I may

How do I get a hole in my hard foam popper body for legs without ruining my paint job? Should that hole be done before I paint and work around it?

Thanks for the replies guys, picked up some liquid fusion yesterday to try..one more question if I may

How do I get a hole in my hard foam popper body for legs without ruining my paint job? Should that hole be done before I paint and work around it?

On small bluegill poppers i just tie the legs on the hook shank behind the popper body.

I have used a tiny drill bit in my dremel tool to put holes in the body.Use a slow speed.

Also have used a small sewing needle with mono fishing line folded in the eye.Once it's pushed through you can slip the leg material in the folded fishing line and pull it back through.Use a penny or something to push the needle through and it's a lot easier on the fingers.Just watch out when it comes through the other side.I do the holes after i paint.May not matter just seem's easier.

I've experimented with trying to poke a hole through hard foam popper bodies BEFORE going through all the trouble of painting them and had no luck. A hot needle didn't penetrate. But It did melt part of the popper. Something small as from a Dremel Precision Drill Set will certainly work. But I would recommend abandoning the idea all together. Lashing legs to the shank at the very back of the popper works just fine and it is much less likely to ever mess anything up. If you have a bit of material tied onto the shank there first, the legs can have a forward angle or they can be made to angle at more like a 90 degree angle from the hook shank.

If you do decide to make a hole in a hard foam body, definitely do it before painting.

"KENTUCKYSTEVE" BRAVO! if you are able to run a needle through a hard foam popper body.

Stippled popper, I might start doing that but I do like the look of the legs coming out of the popper body, I basically ruined two painted poppers last night trying to run a hot bodkin through my popper, made a big mess of things.

I have had some success using a pin vise to hand drill a hole but am usually satisfied with tying right on the hook shank.

If you're using the hard-foam heads, a hot bodkin is a good way to go. Kinda depends though on how thick your legs are. for really fine sili legs, a bodkin hole will do, and you can thread the legs thru either a large needle, or even try your bobbin threader if you have one. If you're using larger legs, like the ones out of a bungee cord, you'll need a bigger hole than a bodkin makes, and a very small drill bit, or a hot ice pick might be better..

Get a Pin Vise. It's a hand held twist drill that holds small bits.

You probably could could twist an eyeglass screw driver through the foam for that matter. Use one of the smaller blades.

pin vise and a small twist drill. i drilled this one after letting the glue dry, before painting and top coating

popper2-9.jpg

afraid to ruin the finish? drill it after you glue it to the hook and before painting

drill the hole at this stage

popper2-2.jpg

pin vise

81497_R.jpg

Nice I'll have to pick one of those up...

Should be getting my disco ball motor in the mail today and try some liquid fusion once I get a turned put together.

Well did a couple quick poppers up with sharpies, got my turner made and did a coat of liquid fusion. The marker bled a tiny bit but nothing major. The coat looks great. Think I'll stick with liquid fusion for now, might not do sharpies though and go back to acrylic paints.