Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Brodrash

A Dry Fly

If you look at a real live caddis standing on the water, the legs are really pretty long and there aren't a million of them lol !. Here is what I think, with that foam that fly is going to float even after passing by class IV white water and wispy legs simulated by a sparse hackle will only aid in realism. But that's my limited education Dave G. mind thinking.

That said, just based from experience I've had great luck in my caddis patterns with hackle a bit longer than the gape of the hook, then snip a V out of the bottom to clear the hook point. Far out fishing those with too short of fibers. In fact go a little long or don't use any is how I've come to approached this. That also allows for a bit lower riding bug ( real caddis do not stand tall on the waters surface, yet can skitter all over it).

Yeah I found that out the hard way I tied a punch of "dries" for a weekend trip. Tested them yesterday and they sank like rocks lol. Oh well I guess I'll use them on the local panfish. Needless to say I'm going to pick some deer hair up soon so I can tie some traditional caddis patterns and some comparaduns.

Also, regarding the issue of hackle, I have have had problems choosing hackle mostly due to my inexperience, but I think a portion of this problem is attributed to the cheap hackle I buy.

Thanks for the guidance,

Brody

Definitely Cold, but I thought I could get a way with it. I think I'll stick to comparaduns till I can bring myself to buy some nicer hackle. Thanks for your help!