Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bryon Anderson

Couple of cork poppers

Nice....and tell the folks how simple/quick corks can be shaped from the utility corks....

big_bug.jpg

102_1016.JPG

Very easy -- all the poppers I've made started out as bottle stoppers. I actually found a little mandrel for the Dremel specifically made to hold and turn a piece of cork or foam, turning the Dremel into a mini-lathe. http://www.smallmouthflyshop.com/product/popper-head-shaper

Since I don't have one of these (yet :) ) I usually just prop the Dremel (using the little stand attached to the end of the tool) on its side on the bench with a sanding drum in it, then I impale a cork on my fly tying bodkin, and rough-shape the cork by touching it lightly to the sanding drum as it spins. I use a round grinding stone to do the cupped faces on the poppers. I do my final shaping by hand with thin strips of fine (220 & 400 grit) sandpaper. I usually do them in lots of a half dozen at a time, running all 6 through each stage of the operation at one time. After shaping and sanding, they all get a coat of spray primer, then two coats of spray paint for the base color. I then do any stippling or other decorative painting by hand with Testor's model paint (the kind that comes in the tiny little glass jars), or sometimes with Sharpie or Prismacolor markers. Then they get a spray-on clear-coat, followed by two coats of Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails. I do the spray clear coat ahead of the Sally Hansen b/c the Sally's tends to smear the paint or marker I use for stippling if I don't seal it with the spray stuff first.

It sounds more time-consuming than it really is. I can do a half-dozen finished poppers in a couple of hours. I'm just doing them six at a time on an as-needed basis this summer, but I expect to turn out many dozens of them over the next winter.

Okay ... you guys say it's easy ... and "it sounds more time consuming than it is" ... but a couple of hours for six flies is way too much time for me.

I'm feeling tired just reading how you do it.

Okay ... you guys say it's easy ... and "it sounds more time consuming than it is" ... but a couple of hours for six flies is way too much time for me.

I'm feeling tired just reading how you do it.

LOL I hear what you're saying Mike --I'll admit that I enjoy the process of making them as much as I enjoy fishing them. All things being equal, 2 hours is a lot of time to make six flies, but the process is therapeutic for me, plus I do it during time (weekday evenings) when I wouldn't be able to go fishing anyway. smile.png

Here's a couple more that turned out halfway decent.

post-36073-0-12285600-1471706918_thumb.jpg

post-36073-0-30806100-1471706922_thumb.jpg

I'll admit that I enjoy the process of making them as much as I enjoy fishing them.

IMO, this is the key to any of this as far as the time it takes. Mike's approach & reasons for how he does it is different, and understandable. I also enjoy making the poppers, and sometimes do take a lot of extra time when making them for myself, but am always happy with the results. I never got too fancy with them, and probably could have cut a few steps but still wanted them to look good. Personal choices!

When I was selling them, different story. I still enjoyed making them, but time was also an issue. I also didn't cut steps & had to learn to "mass produce" which was not as enjoyable, but I got a lot more done.

It depends on how much time & effort a person is willing to spend to make them as they want. smile.png

BTW, Byron, love the green color schemes on that last bunch!