Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
RexW

Rite Bobbin Washers?

I have a question about the washers on the Rite-click adjustable bobbins. I got some of the standard size and the magnum sizes in an estate sale. They were not loaded with thread, but all had been used. (The thread was being sold separately.)

I noticed that new Rite bobbins use two washers by the thread spool, but the ones that I got do not have the washers. I don't know if they were lost or if the bobbins are old enough to pre-date the use of the washers.

Here's my questions, how critical are the washers to the function of this style of bobbin? What purpose do they serve?

I'm trying to decide if I need to find some replacement washers or just use the bobbins as is and not worry about them.

Thanks!

They provide a consistent smooth slippage between the thread spool and the bobbin sides. Tension is set by the tightness of the screw compressing the spool so the washers provide a consistent smooth slippery material of the washer against both the bobbin side and the spool sides against which to set the tension.

Write the manufacturer and ask how important they are.

Hi RexW,

You don't absolutely need them, but obviously, they are there for a reason. They are VERY easy to lose. On a concrete floor, are next to impossible to find. There was a thread on here or maybe at FAOL about replacement ones a couple of years ago. The OP wrote that he contacted RITE, and they sent him a bunch of new ones, free of charge. I figured I would give that a try. They wrote me back telling me they are easy to get and don't cost much at any hardware store. They are NOT at every hardware store. I went to a local Lowe's, and bought the last two packs that they had after looking for about 25 minutes. You get four washers per pack. They came in a plain black and white plastic heat sealed bag. They are Hillman brand flat nylon washers in size 5/16" . I think they were about a $1.50 for a four pack. I kept the bag and have a few extra in case I lose another one or two again.

I'm way more careful now when I change out thread. happy.png

Regards,

Mark

Thanks Mark. That was an easy fix. A quick trip to Lowe's and the problem is solved.

Thanks for the help!