Fly Tying
Chuck McFarlane

Can elk be substituted for deer on a rolled muddler?

Really nice ties Chuck

Thanks Retro, Nice to have a little time off recently to keep up with some tying projects and get out for some much needed fishing. Been on a bit of a dace chase the past few days and finally got after some smallmouth today. Lost a respectable one that took my bunny leech pattern right when I was pulling up to recast. Didn't have much leverage for a decent hookset and he came undone in a flash. Bummer. Dividing my time now between the small flies and big bass offerings.

Those look really good chuck

Cheers Norm. This is a fun pattern to tie, and I've found I'm much more confident at forming dubbing balls than spinning deer heads. I've since fished those two flies and they look great in the water too.

Used richmc's satin fibers (thank Rich) in a dubbing brush to make this head.

attachicon.gifSatin Fly 3.JPG

That's a beautiful fly Mike! It seems with the muddler style there are a lot of possibilities. I even saw a bird's nest nymph which uses a bird's nest style head. That looks like a great bass streamer.

Thank you, Chuck.

It's caught a few fish ... enough that it's torn up. I need to tie some more like it.