Fly Tying
TedderX

Soft Hackle Flies

tctrout, you live in a different world than I do if you can calmly recommend a $290 book USED, $630 new. I try to save up that much to make a trip with, not buy a book.

Wow! I think I paid $20 for my copy, new. I'll have to take better care of it.

$630.00 new !?!?!?!?!?

Okay, so I printed off the 30 pages it lets you see ... just $5.00 per page to anyone interested !!!

tctrout, you live in a different world than I do if you can calmly recommend a $290 book USED, $630 new. I try to save up that much to make a trip with, not buy a book.

I'm unsure how you knew if I was calm when making the recommendation...but I simply copied and pasted the first link. Thanks for checking, as I recently added that link to the "Resources" page of my website!

Wow! I think I paid $20 for my copy, new. I'll have to take better care of it.

Ha ha...me too! It's a great book, but now maybe I should list it! ;-)

I wonder how many copies of the book are actually sold at those inflated prices?

I was introduced to soft hackle flies prior to The Soft Hackled Fly - A trout Fisherman's Guide by Sylvester Nemes pub. 1975.

In the early 1970's my fly fishing mentor picked me up and we drove to the Housatonic River in NW CT.

It is caddis time he stated,, had two boxes of flies, one with heavy hooks Mustad 3906 and a second box with identical flies on 94840 hooks.

We began at the head of the large pools where the riffles just ended,,, cast upstream and hammered the trout.

When the dry fly activity began and the action was in the slower water main pool,,, he gave me some flies on the light wire hook,,, dress with Muclin and cast into the rise forms,,, well,, 50% of the time a trout would grab the fly and we hooked up. We had no clue about emergers or still born flies,, the soft hackles just worked,

Later that evening I quizzed him about the flies,,, he stated when he was a young man,, his old timer mentor introduced the flies to him.

These were tied with dubbed bodies and heavier hackle than those used today.

When the book by Nemes was published,,, most local FF did not bother,,, they were not dry flies and just did not count for trout fishing.

Regards,

FK

I really like tying and fishing soft hackles, I have a friend who likes to hunt and he gives me all the bird skins after he cleans them which gives me access to many feathers. Like others have said you only need 2 or 3 materials to make a soft hackled fly. To me the hardest part of tying them is finding the correct sized feather to use, I have tried many different tying techniques but still like tying the feather in by the tip and wrapping it like normal hackle which means you need to find a correct sized feather for that size hook.

Rodney

I went out after smallmouth yesterday. I put on a black zonker leech with a blue bodied soft hackle trailing 2 feet behind. Before I got started on the bass I spotter a large carp, about 24", 15' ahead of me in some shallow water. I tossed the flies about 3' beside him. He turned and cruised past the leech and sucked up the soft hackle. I looked at my watch because I knew I was in for a long fight. Exactly 15 minutes later the 6 pound flourocarbon tippet broke. Kind of glad it did. The carp had at least 15 more minutes left in him, but I don't think I did.

Soft hackles work!

When the book by Nemes was published,,, most local FF did not bother,,, they were not dry flies and just did not count for trout fishing.

Interestingly, in the book What the Trout Said, Datus Proper talked about soft hackles in the section on dry flies.

Here is a version of my wet fly in red.

This one is a size 16 on a Mustad 3906 hook,

I also tie them in black, brown, orange, green,

and any other color I can find stretch nylon.

post-56386-0-59420700-1471311338_thumb.jpg

Cold, I wish I knew a way to warm up your soft hackle fishing but I've had good luck what little fishing I've been able to do the last few years. If you go to the Ozarks you are expected to carry and fish the Red Ass Kelso every chance you get short of totally wrong water for it. Flyty1, yours is a good example of the Kelso style with the red butt, herl collar, soft hackle, though for me the hackle is kind of thick. I like it a little sparser because when reading about this fly years ago on tying the comment that stuck with me on hackle was sparse, after all, a bug only has six legs.

I've been called on this before and will stand my ground. On many of my ties, especially with hen hackle, I tear one side of the feather completely clean before giving just a couple of wraps of the other side. I know it's done by many including some top tyers I've read but I was called stupid on this otherwise friendly board for doing this. Ah well, I do it. I like it.

Another funny thing about soft hackle that goes with the "inventing flies" thread. A cyber friend on another board came into a soft hackle discussion and said a friend of his tied a fly with just a bit of a red butt, herl collar, soft hackle. His friend told him he designed it one night and swore him to secrecy. About a half dozen popped photos of our versions of Red Ass Kelso on the thread and the guy said he was calling his friend right then to have a good laugh about his "secret".

... but I was called stupid on this otherwise friendly board for doing this.

Vic ... you only assume it was because of the hackle! wink.png